Talk

Advanced search

How can you tell if a cat is stray?

(8 Posts)
AngryFeet Tue 23-Oct-12 19:15:26

For the last month or so the same cat has been hanging around our house a lot. It sleeps quite a bit in the kids summer house (there is a soft chair in there with a blanket on) but I have only seen it in there during the day (could be there at night but too dark to see).

It has no collar, doesn't look thin but has certainly been going through our rubbish and eating from it. Seems fairly friendly but not overly so. Must be youngish as it is quite small - not a kitten but not a full grown cat.

I am a bit worried now the weather is getting so much colder at night that it will die if it is living outside. But it could just be a roaming cat. It doesn't belong to any of our immediate neighbours.

What should I do if anything? Can't take it in myself as we are not allowed cats (rented accomm).

caramelthewitchescat Tue 23-Oct-12 19:24:34

put a paper collar on it, ask if it belongs to anyone and put your phone number on it. Or take it to the vets to find out if it's been chipped

look on the cats protection website. they give advice.

Madmog Tue 23-Oct-12 19:42:19

You could put posters up locally asking if anyone has a cat who fits it's description, perhaps in your road and the immediate roads surrounding it and perhaps a postcard in the local newsagents. If you can't get it to the vet to check for a chip, it would be worthing phoning to ask if anyone has a missing cat who fits the description as thats one place I would check if either of mine went missing. It might be worth asking the vet or local animal shelter the next best move if you fail to locate an owner.

Karbea Tue 23-Oct-12 19:57:02

A family took my cat to the vet and had his chip scanned. The vet called us. My cat still regularly visits the family and I often walk round and pick him up. Most cats have more than one family, either chek with the vet or put a collar on him with a note, don't feed him till you are sure. The other family feed my cat which just encourages him...

AngryFeet Wed 24-Oct-12 10:28:11

It was definitely sleeping in the shed last night as I checked at first light this morning and it was there fast asleep.

Oops karbea I fed it last night as it was hunting in my rubbish bags and I felt sorry for it. Didn't let it in the house just gave it some food outside.

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 24-Oct-12 15:03:12

Are you feeding it?

I'd feed it, the weathers getting colder and it will need a full tummy.

CottageCheeseAndAppleSandwich Sat 27-Oct-12 19:36:38

Put posters up with description and photo if poss and your contact details. If you can catch him, maybe borrow a cat basket from neighbour or friend, take him to a vet. They will check for microchip and reunite with owner or kennel him/her for a seven day period in case owner turns up before rehoming. Maybe not ideal but at least she/he would have comfortable place to rest and regular food and any necessary medical treatments.

CottageCheeseAndAppleSandwich Sat 27-Oct-12 19:52:32

... at no cost to you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now