Talk

Advanced search

Missing cat tale....

(24 Posts)
teedeeuk Tue 23-Oct-12 06:55:37

Last Tuesday our utterly gorgeous eight year old ginger boy went missing. He's stayed out for a day before but always appeared at dinner time. By Friday we were frantic, we looked everywhere, put posters up and leafleted two hundred houses. No sign.
As he's chipped we also rang all the vets, the council and put him on various cat lost websites. We also tweeted his details hourly.
By yesterday afternoon I was in bits, I couldn't stop imagining all the dreadful scenarios that could have happened to him.
When my partner came home we got a phone call saying that someone near us had a cat trapped in their house. We ran round the corner and found him trapped behind their fireplace! He had fallen down the chimney and been stuck for six days!! We got him out (with difficulty,he was terrified) and brought him home. He's lost weight and was very hungry and thirsty but seems otherwise unscathed. I've spent the whole night fussing him while he's purred like a little train. He's snuggled next to me now smile
If your cat goes missing don't give up hope! and do leaflet as it really can help.
I just wanted to share - I am SO HAPPY.

follyfoot Tue 23-Oct-12 07:02:12

What a lovely story smile So pleased you got your lovely ginger boy back safely. You are so right about the leafleting, it has worked for us too in the past.

cozietoesie Tue 23-Oct-12 07:07:08

So pleased you got him back, teedeeuk. One of mine was trapped up a chimney once as a kitten - although nowhere near as long as your boy. He had to be bathed afterwards (cream cat was actually black) so the event was traumatic for everyone!

smile

Sparklingbrook Tue 23-Oct-12 07:08:11

tee that is brilliant. Did you have to pull their fireplace to pieces?

You must be so happy-what on earth was he doing?

Sparklingbrook Tue 23-Oct-12 07:10:25

Here's another happy tale Must be the week for it. Never ever give up hope. smile

BigusBumus Tue 23-Oct-12 07:11:00

Our next door neighbours cat has gone down the chimney of a derelict house in our village several times. It's after the birds that nest there and then falls down the chimney.

My DP made a hole in the door with his foot so it can get out again.

Glad you have your cat back. smilesmilesmile

Sparklingbrook Tue 23-Oct-12 07:11:34

What if the fire is lit? <wibble>

Sparklingbrook Tue 23-Oct-12 07:12:26

Sorry Bigus unlikely in a derelict house. <duh> grin

teedeeuk Tue 23-Oct-12 07:13:24

follyfoot Thank you
cozie He's pretty grubby but at 7kg I'm not going to attempt bathing him smile
Sparkling luckily the fireplace had a removable front bit. The difficulty was getting him out of the side space he had squeezed into in terror. I suspect he was chasing a seagull. It's his life's dream to catch one!

teedeeuk Tue 23-Oct-12 07:18:18

Bigus we are glad too! Cat's are amazing aren't they?

teedeeuk Tue 23-Oct-12 07:18:59

Cats obv! autocorrect...

Sparklingbrook Tue 23-Oct-12 07:19:39

That's good tee I had visions of you going in with the sledgehammer while the homeowners looked on. grin

cozietoesie Tue 23-Oct-12 07:22:56

One of my more recent boys took on a whole flock of seagulls in the long grass at the back of the house some years ago. (No one told him they were a bit big for him.) I went out to rescue him after hearing this godawful noise going on and seeing this massed flock low in the air and chocolate paws rearing out of the grass. He was quite indignant. Didn't want to be rescued by Mummy at all!

Sparklingbrook Tue 23-Oct-12 07:31:25

Seagulls are evil. Cats are stupid very brave. Sparkling Cat dragged a headless magpie back once but she must have found it I think. grin

teedeeuk Tue 23-Oct-12 07:50:57

He is a bit of a 'mighty hunter' and has brought us all sorts of presents in the past including koi carp, frogs, rats, a budgie (argh) and a baby rabbit (saved) but has never quite managed a seagull yet!

cozietoesie Tue 23-Oct-12 08:20:47

Ah that brings back memories. My very first Siamese's pedigree name was 'Mighty Hunter' in Siamese. (The breeders used to give them Siamese names in those days.) He was an abject coward. I recall once that we caught an escaped budgie that had been feeding on the cabbages and was blown up as big as a house - and furious with being captured. It was taken inside, and firstcozieboy took one look at it squawking and fled upstairs in horror. We didn't see him for several hours after the coast was clear!

grin

teedeeuk Tue 23-Oct-12 08:23:17

I have added some photos of the little sod darling just because I am stupid with happiness today grin

cozietoesie Tue 23-Oct-12 08:24:55

Well done. I'll look out for them when they load.

smile

teedeeuk Tue 23-Oct-12 08:27:04

did that work cozie?

follyfoot Tue 23-Oct-12 08:32:43

Ooo looking forward to seeing them and understand exactly how you feel smile

Our ginger boy went missing for several weeks one time. We had leafleted everywhere nearby and I'd given up hope of him ever coming back. DH popped out 'to the shops' one day and when he got back, asked me to help unload the shopping from the car. There sitting on the back seat was our gorgeous ginger boy. The bugger had moved in with someone else Fortunately this chap had been told of the missing cat leaflets and had rung to say his new feline lodger might actually be our cat. DH went without telling me just in case it wasnt our boy.

What a fab surprise.

follyfoot Tue 23-Oct-12 08:34:03

Oooo he is squeeeeeeeeee!

cozietoesie Tue 23-Oct-12 08:34:40

Yep they've loaded now.

smile

Oooh - Butter wouldn't melt in his mouth, eh?

teedeeuk Tue 23-Oct-12 08:37:35

hah! indeed.........

teedeeuk Tue 23-Oct-12 08:41:39

follyfoot I love that your DH went without telling you in case it wasn't him. Aw!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now