Talk

Advanced search

help me convince dp that getting 2 kittens is better than getting just 1

(29 Posts)
newmum001 Mon 22-Oct-12 14:55:14

He's not a massive fan of cats anyway but i am. Had them all my life, always rescued and he's finally come round to the idea of getting a kitten (hopefully from a rescue) but me being me had to go one further and i now think it would be better to get 2 from the same litter. Im home all day (sahm) but looking for a part time job atm so they'd have company while at work etc. But thats the only reason i can come up with. Is there any other reasons??? If you can think of any it might help win him round.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Mon 22-Oct-12 15:09:38

Because two kittens will entertain each other, and playfight with each other, so you don't have to playfight with them and get your arms and hands all scratched and sore. And two kittens are absolutely bloody hilarious!

newmum001 Mon 22-Oct-12 15:16:05

Thanks OldLady. We re homed 2 older kittens years ago when i still lived at home and they were adorable. We had three other cats at the time but the 2 of them were partners in crime. Very mischevious and always together. Ooooh i really want 2 now!!!

SecretNutellaFix Mon 22-Oct-12 15:21:57

I got a brother and sister pair and they are still funny now they are 9.

They seem to be less demanding of human contact that the cats who were single kittens, but still love attention, especially if it winds the other one upgrin

NatashaBee Mon 22-Oct-12 16:19:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

cozietoesie Mon 22-Oct-12 16:21:23

I've always had singleton cats (for my 'bed cats') but I work from home and can give them the attention they need all day. I can see that a pair would entertain each other through longish absences.

PandaNot Mon 22-Oct-12 16:25:11

We have two brothers. They definitely entertain each other and it's good fun watching them chase around after each other.

ihearthuckabees Mon 22-Oct-12 16:26:20

Cats prefer to be singletons, but a sibling pair can get on ok.

AlexanderS Mon 22-Oct-12 16:33:13

We got a pair of kittens (sisters) in the spring and I thoroughly recommend it. We had two because we had the space and money for two and we wanted to do our bit in terms of rehoming unwanted animals, but I'm so glad we did as they do entertain each other and it's adorable to watch them interact. Plus me and DP have a cat each to sit on our laps whilst we're watching telly in the evenings!

OneHandFlapping Mon 22-Oct-12 16:37:41

I've had three different brother and sister pairs, and it's a great combination. They play together their whole lives, stalking each other and puncing on each other. It isn't until you have seen a cat deliberately set up an ambush for its sibling that you realise how clever they really are.

After playing until they are exhausted, they often curl up together, and lick each other's faces, which is very cute.

newmum001 Mon 22-Oct-12 16:51:06

Im going to show him this thread when he gets home. Ive always had more than one cat, not all siblings but older cats rescued at different points in their lives and they've all loved having playmates so im not convinced that they prefer to be singletons. The sister pair of kittens were by far the closest but the older cats all seemed to prefer to have company of other cats aswell. If i can't convince him and we end up with just 1 them ill be more than happy to have just that 1 (it's taken 3 years to convince him to get one) but i really would love to get 2.

MegTheCat Mon 22-Oct-12 16:54:52

Don't want to give you ideas but we had 3 cats from the same litter. (2 sisters and a brother) It was definitely a good idea as they did keep each other company. They would cuddle up together to sleep and the girls groomed each other and their brother (that must be a timesaver). They had the odd little disagreement and spit at each other but got on fine most of the time. They were really entertaining as kittens when they played together. I'm scratching around for practical reasons but the main thing is the cats were happy.
I'd have settled for 2 but dh argued for 3 in case one died (so the survivors would still have company). As it turned out they all lived to 17/18 years old so that wasn't an issue. Unfortunately with them all being the same age we lost them all within quite a short space of time sad.

LBsBongers Mon 22-Oct-12 16:57:00

We had two sisters who fought like hell from the day they came home as kittens till one died at the age of ten. They only tolerated each other at meal times.... Come to think of it they were probably replicating me and my sisters grin

newmum001 Mon 22-Oct-12 17:40:09

Aww meg id have loads if i could. Had 5 at one point when i was a bit younger but i think im pushing it asking for 2 right now.

LBs they sound very funny.

issey6cats Tue 23-Oct-12 17:24:52

six years ago i went to pick up one boy kitten called jasper and when we got there i was holding all five kits in my arms his sister decided that she wanted to come home with us, she got in my face, purred like a train, put on the charm offensive and yes we came home with two kittens, the best thing i could have done, they are like one cat with two heads, they sleep, eat. play and groom together the odd jojo will pick on her brother for no reason but would definitely reccomend a pair of kits double the fun and love, best combo is either two brothers or a brother sister as two girls will vie for who is going to be top cat as cats are female top hierarchy

sashh Wed 24-Oct-12 05:33:47

I've fostered quite a few cats and the most fun have been pairs that got on, some where kittens, others older cats. I had a brother and sister who would curl up together to sleep.

You have to get two.

wannaBe Wed 24-Oct-12 06:08:25

my two only really played together while they were kittens.

Once they grew into cats they never bothered with each other again.

follyfoot Wed 24-Oct-12 06:34:33

Our brother and sister pair are inseparable.

You could show him the photos on my profile, that might help grin

newmum001 Wed 24-Oct-12 07:59:19

Aww folly they're lovely. And you've got a ginger one. The sisters we had were ginger and so cute.

Cheers for all your help guys. He's read the thread and agrees you all make a great argument for 2 rather than 1 but hadn't exactly said he'd be ok getting 2. Ahh well we'll see. I've emailed Cats Protection League to see if they re home to families with younger children but everywhere seem to have the same policy sad for the first time ever it looks like i'll be buying rather than rehoming.

cozietoesie Wed 24-Oct-12 09:36:48

Oh surely not, newmum. The rescues are groaning with cats needing homes right now. There must be someone somewhere that will give an older cat (or two) to a responsible likely owner rather than having them put to sleep?

Catsmamma Wed 24-Oct-12 09:42:26

If you want the cats to love YOU then I wouldn't get a pair. Reuben and Faerie are siblings and they are pleased to see us, and occasionally nice to us, but the primary relationship is with one another.

All the "single" cats I have had have been much more people friendly.

We have had three "single" cats at the same time....iyswim.... and all were much more affectionate to us than the sibling pair.

newmum001 Wed 24-Oct-12 10:02:16

Cozie ive tried the RSPCA and our local animal shelter and both have said we wouldn't be suitable to rehome as dd is 2. Even though the local shelter keeps posting on fb about having no room for any more cats/kittens and asking for food donations as they can't cope with the amount of cats they have. It's hearbreaking. Im waiting to hear back from Cats Protection League but from the look of their policy it'll be the same from them.

I have a friend who knows someone who fosters kittens for another shelter who said she'd let us know when or if she is next fostering. I also know a girl who found a litter of kittens in the factory attached to her office. They're roughly 4 weeks old and are being hand reared by a guy she works with under the supervision of a local vet so if they pull through i'll be having 1 or 2 of those but she's warned me not to get my hopes up just yet as they are very young and might not make it. Fingers crossed they pull through. I really don't want to buy one but it's looking like i haben't got many other options. I honestly considered lying about dd (i know that sounds awful) but it wouldn't work anyway cause te house is full of toys so when they do a home visit i'd be sussed straight away.

cozietoesie Wed 24-Oct-12 10:19:02

I'll wish you luck in trying for a rescue. I think it's well worth your waiting that little bit longer to get the right cat(s) for you and there are simply so many poor cats who are desperate for a loving home that it would be a dreadful shame to buy one rather than rehoming.

Just a thought but - have you visited Catchat?

Catchat

Their forums have umpty people desperately seeking homes for cats and I reckon if you posted there, setting out your situation, they would fall on you like wolves on the fold. Might be worth a try.

cozietoesie Wed 24-Oct-12 10:21:25

PS - have a look at their 'Cat Rescue and Rehoming' under the 'Forums' tag.

smile

newmum001 Wed 24-Oct-12 10:39:59

Thak you so much for the link. Ill have a look at that when dd has a nap. I understand if rescues have policies etc but im home all day, im an experienced cat owner. Know how often to flea worm and how much it all costs. On paper im the ideal choice but cause i have a child under 5 they won't even let me through the door. Ahh well we'll see what happens. Im in no rush so buying will be a last resort and hopefully i'll have some luck with that link.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now