Talk

Advanced search

is there anyone here who had a cat with ringworm...NIGHTMARE!!

(7 Posts)
bitofcheese Sat 20-Oct-12 16:32:03

haven't hoovered so much in my life, apart from when we got flees 15 years ago when i befriended a local cat, and that's only part of it, not happy

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sat 20-Oct-12 16:38:45

Be careful, as humans can catch it.

bitofcheese Sat 20-Oct-12 16:51:13

i know but tbh i'm not bothered about getting it, easily treated, more concerned about the cat not to mention the money it is costing me. i have to take her to the cat groomer (ironically the place i personally recon she caught it) as she needs to be clipped as has long hair and nearly impossible to treat with the topical stuff i have plus i am sure she has infected patches that i can't see or feel. vet didn't suggest it (as she didn't confirm she has RW 100%) but nurse did, to bath her, NO WAY so i am getting groomer to do it and may have to take her back for four weeks twice a week. she needs her hair cutting but can't find any other groomer who will touch her, understandably. i can't prove this women's parlour did this but i am about 90% sure, bit of a coincidence plus before i got her groomed there 4 weeks ago a friend tried to warm me off saying how a friend of hers claims her cat got RW there......... the groomer was a bit off with me on the phone (i didn't mention how i suspected my cat may have got it from her last visit) making out she was doing me a favour dealing with the cat. if she gives me a hard time going on about how infectious it is i think i will lose it. my cat has never had a skin problem before, rarely goes out and if she does she only stays in our garden and HATES other cats so doubt she has had contact with any others not to mention my friend trying to warn me away from the place. tbh it must be near enough impossible to keep fleas etc clear from your parlour as alot of cats may well be carrying something without the owner knowing. i have to hope she keeps all her tools clean and cleans the place between patients. bloody nightmare, costing me a f***ing fortune and i am broke atm..

Lonecatwithkitten Sat 20-Oct-12 17:01:03

Ringworm lives in damp wood so highly unlikely to survive in your house.

bitofcheese Sat 20-Oct-12 17:06:33

ah thanks lone, i have done SO MUCH reading on the net' on the subject the last week. i keep reading how it can survive (spores) lying there for 2 years thus have to keep hoovering as her hair is everywhere. i didn't know it needed damp wood. i keep reading about the spores that are on the cat hairs. i can't bring myself to keep her in one room so she is still roaming around........... :0)

issey6cats Sat 20-Oct-12 19:11:25

i havent had a cat with ringworm but the rescue i work at had a mom and kittens with it, what they did was isolate the family, and an anti bacterial disinfectant to wash every washable surface every day (ie the inside of the pen), used protective clothing when feeding them, the only consolation is that when it has cleared she will never get it again as she will have a lifelong immunity to it, was about 6 weeks from start to finish, and keep using the cream as it does make a difference though it looks worse before it looks better and when you have hoovered throw the contents of the hoover bag away each day as this will reduce the spore load dont know what else to suggest , matybe shampoo the carpets with disinfectant added to the water, or steam clean as the steam will be hot enough to kill the spores

2kidsintow Sun 21-Oct-12 20:34:34

Blimey!
When we got our lovely Brucie from a rescue centre as a kitten he had ringworm. We didn't go through half of the palaver mentioned above!
The vets shaved him and gave him his first bath and provided us with the special shampoo. We had to give him follow up baths daily, iiirc. (Which resulted in lots of scratches on our arms!)
We didn't even own a vacuum cleaner back then as we'd only just moved into our new home. And we weren't given any advice about disinfecting etc.
This was prior to having the internet, I'll admit. (1995)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now