Talk

Advanced search

Kitten wanting to Play out

(18 Posts)
XandaPanda Thu 18-Oct-12 07:29:54

I'm not sure how to go about letting my Kitten out he is around 5 months & been neutered etc.
He just sits at the door crying and escapes when the door is opened.
I was wanting him to be an indoor cat due to living on a very busy road but he obviously does not want to be.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated as he is my first kitten

HappyTurquoise Thu 18-Oct-12 07:37:03

What we did with ours was to get a harness and lead and only let them out with that for a month or so, in the back garden. Then, with cat secure in harness in my arms, I would cross the road (making a big play of looking both ways, pointing the cat in both directions) at different times of day, keeping well away from cars, hugging the walls or hedges when a car went by.

lljkk Thu 18-Oct-12 07:40:47

Don't let him out if you'll keep him as indoor-only cat. He will give up on escape, eventually.
It's like parenting, you have to be consistent!

MissFoodie Thu 18-Oct-12 09:47:01

aaaaaw
I was the same with mine, but he really was desperate to go out, I relented and he comes and goes through cat flap; all cats are different, some really aren't bothered about going outside, but it is their natural instinct.
I live near an A road but to be honest, he is petrified and stays in the gardens/side roads, am sure yours would be fine, you have to let them go!

XandaPanda Thu 18-Oct-12 10:51:58

Not to keen on the idea of just ignoring him and eventually he will stop asking
Going Timothy let him in the garden later and see how it goes

MissFoodie Thu 18-Oct-12 10:54:29

if you decide to let him out, you need to do it gradually over a week, starting half hour before dinner, then calling him back in with food bowl, then increase every time; obv stay out there with him too, is v cute when they start to discover bushes and things smile
when he starts going out he will come back to use litter tray (v funny) and eventually start going to toilet outside

XandaPanda Thu 18-Oct-12 11:25:52

*To, not Timothy, stupid auto correct blush

MissFoodie Thu 18-Oct-12 11:29:07

heheh thought he was called Timothy grin

Paiviaso Thu 18-Oct-12 12:50:57

You could take him out on a harness and lead.

Does he get adequate stimulation in the house?

Sparklingbrook Thu 18-Oct-12 12:57:25

Let him out in the garden and go with him at first, before he has eaten. Stay with him in the garden. A lot of cats don't get on well with the harnesses.

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 18-Oct-12 14:09:15

If you harness, get a cheap one. Our boy doesnt do harnesses it was pink with rhinestones.

You can go on amazon and get an electric collar which you put a wire around your boundry in the garden and he shouldnt go over that. I say shouldnt as we havent tried it.

We car trained our cat by driving at him on the drive bibbing the horn so he knows cars are a bad thing that doesnt always stop, or if he went under the car in the garage I'd start it and rev the engine. It honestly isnt as bad as it sound and the next door neigbour drove like a c***so we worried.

Dont let him go out overnight as thats the worst time and keep a collar on him, I buy the cheapy ones from the poundshop and write his address on the collar as I read it's sometimes the tags they object too more than the collar. Some insurance companies apparently want a cat wearing a collar from what one lady told me who lost her cat.

One day he will go over the fence and you worry till they come back.

XandaPanda Thu 18-Oct-12 15:51:28

Missfoodie He wishes he was called Timothy instead he is called 'Jelly' grin

Paiviaso Yes he does get adequate stimulation as I have a 3 year old that likes to keep him entertained

Fluffycloudland77 I won't be letting him out when its dark, I looked a right idiot yesterday running round my huge jungle garden trying to find him, tried him with a harness today and he was having none of it, though the pink rhinestone one sounds lovely. [Grin]

thanks

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 18-Oct-12 16:33:00

Take a torch with you, their eyes reflect in the light and they cant hide.

Try him wearing the harness around the house for short periods then build him up.

MissFoodie Thu 18-Oct-12 16:36:16

mine would never have tolerated a harness, even as a kitten...his brother did, I was so jealous

Sparklingbrook Thu 18-Oct-12 17:36:05

We let our first cat out for the first time and she jumped over the fence in the back garden straight away. I was hysterical, and then ten minutes later she was yowing at the front door. grin

Paiviaso Sat 20-Oct-12 16:27:12

The harness takes training, neither of my cats took to it at first. One cat could wear it in a few weeks, the other after a few months (I wasn't training everyday though).

I started with simply leaving the harness out so they could sniff it and it started to smell like them, then placing it on their backs while giving treats, then trying to do it up while giving treats, then playing with fish-rod toys (their favourite thing) once they finally let me do it up, etc.

You might want to have a proper play with him every day, in which he actually gets a solid fast run around chasing a toy. I doubt your 3 year can make him work hard enough! Also, food mazes keep them busy. IMO an indoor cat needs to be given activities.

Tigerbomb Sat 20-Oct-12 17:44:34

We let ours (Salem) out with a harness for a few weeks and every time we went back into the house we shook the treat box and gave him a treat.

Gradually we let him out without the harness but again each time he came in we shook the treat box and gave him a treat.

He now comes and goes as he pleases but when it's time for him to come in and stay in, we shake the treat box and he comes running in. It's the only time he gets treats and it works for us

LadyMaryCrawley Sat 20-Oct-12 18:02:08

If he wants to be an outdoorsy cat, he'll be miserable if he's kept in. Do as other posters have said; let him out for half an hour just before dinner, so he'll be hungry and come home; teach him the noise of the treat box, so he knows he'll get a treat if he hears it; and don't let him stay out all night.

We lost our wee boycat to a car a couple of weeks ago. He wasn't even two, but he had a great life because he went and had all sorts of outdoor adventures and always knew he had us to come home to for food and warmth and snuggles. You just have to let them go, even though you'll always have that niggling fear in the back of your mind...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now