Talk

Advanced search

persuade the cat to drink/eat

(7 Posts)
Nagoo Thu 11-Oct-12 14:53:28

My cat has got tumours, probably lymphoma the vet said. He is 16 so I shall not be going the chemo route with him.

He had a steroid injection today, the vet said it should make him feel a bit better in the short term (days/ months he doesn't know).

This cat doesn't like being kept in, and is often absent for a week at a time, I put food outside for him and he has a bed in a shelter in case the other people whose house he went to put him out at night (does that make sense?).

So last night he came home and he is very very thin. I have put some tuna in a dish with a little water on it, and he has been drinking the water. Has anyone got any other ideas how I can keep him hydrated? I don't know if I can get him to eat. I thought cat milk might make him sick?

If he doesn't perk up then I will have to take him back to get him put down. He is quite purry when you stroke him and his eyes are still quite bright, so I am not keen to rush in to having him taken back to the vet. Also my husband needs a bit of time to come round to the decision. I don't want to make it for him.

I am worried about him suffering while I wonder what to do.

*if anyone remembers my other thread about IncontiCat, the steroid thing seems to be working, and he seems much better. This is a different cat.

Nagoo Thu 11-Oct-12 17:55:12

bumping.

VeganCow Sat 13-Oct-12 11:14:26

Cat milk is fine smile Filling, keeps hydrated and has fats and oils in.
have you tried different types of fish, li,s mackerel in tomato sauce? Mine love it, its very strong smelling and his sense of smell might have reduced affecting his appetitie.
Also, chicken and fish based baby foods, warmed gently in microwave.

if this does not work, then I am afraid, as I have been here before, it might be the kindest thing to say goodbye. Its awful watching a beloved pet starve.

Nagoo Sat 13-Oct-12 11:35:29

Oh thank you for replying.

The steroid injection has perked him right up smile

I bought some pate type cat food and I put a little warm water on it and he's asking for more food all the time. I haven't seen him drink and plain water, but he is drinking the 'meaty' water. I know he won't have very long but I am encouraged ATM. smile

VeganCow Sat 13-Oct-12 13:29:20

cats on all wet diet with no dry dont need to drink water, they get it all from the food.

HappyTurquoise Sat 13-Oct-12 22:46:29

We have a pet fountain which our cats love. (Boy cat drags it towards the door when the water needs changing!)

cozietoesie Sat 13-Oct-12 23:21:20

Nagoo

I've been there. If he'll eat, give him as much as he'll take. (The steroid will boost him greatly - for a short time.)

My heart goes out to you. It won't be long of course.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now