Talk

Advanced search

Cutting nails

(10 Posts)
madas Mon 08-Oct-12 20:13:15

Has anybody done this to their moggy, is it easy or should i let the vet do it ?

dot91 Mon 08-Oct-12 20:20:54

My cat is an indoor cat so I have cut her claws since she was a kitten.I wait till she is sleeping then wake her to do them. she knows she gets a treat when I,m finished. It can take a couple of attemps to do all the claws i do them every 4 to 5 weeks.

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 09-Oct-12 15:32:04

It is pretty easy as the principle is the same as our nails cut the white avoid the pink - it will bleed a lot. Some cats are very tolerant others hate it.
However, if your cat goes outside I would think long and hard about doing it. By removing trimming nails you are making it hard for your cat to jump and climb and also very difficult to defend itself.

tabbycat15 Wed 10-Oct-12 13:12:02

It is very easy to do. You might need someone else to help hold the cat. I find it easier to sit the cat on my lap & get someone to hold the head still. If you hold the paw & squeeze to splay out the claw so it extends outwards. Look in the light for the pink/ red area in the claw & don't trim as far back as that or it will bleed. Use special cat nail scissors & just nip off the point at the end. The end may curl around so get the scissors under the curly part & trim straight across. Don't try & take too much off. You may find as you cut the sheaths sheer off as well.

Dotty my cat gets ingrown claws & I had to keep taking her to the vets. I watched them do it & thought I could do it myself. Dotty can be a bit mean so I practised on our nice cat & they are both fine. Just don't go to far down or you will get some hissing & biting.

BadgersGhostlyRetreatWoo Wed 10-Oct-12 18:10:28

shock i wouldn't survive dare...

sashh Thu 11-Oct-12 06:30:15

Get the vet to show you how and buy the propper clippers

Mum2Luke Sun 14-Oct-12 16:21:39

I think I will get the vet to advise, we only bought our cat from a local animal shelter yesterday. She keeps clawing the carpet - is this normal? When she sits on your knee she does it too (ouch!!) I assume that when she is allowed to go out in 4 weeks the claws will perhaps wear down a bit when she starts climbing trees/walking out on the paving slabs.

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 14-Oct-12 18:17:38

Carpet clawings pretty normal, ours does it then flops onto his back in a "I is a pretty cat" way.

sunflowerseeds Sun 14-Oct-12 20:30:09

My old cat's nails grow so long they catch in the carpets. The vet charged £23.50 to clip them and I can't do it by myself (he's afraid, not vicious)
If there are 2 of you it should be easy enough.

cozietoesie Sun 14-Oct-12 21:55:26

I do cozieseniorboy's nails regularly. He's so old (and has so few teeth) that he needs some help with most grooming things. I got him when my Mom died and she did no grooming at all. He's learned now to love a groom and to 'tolerate' claw clipping. It's not his favourite thing but I do it when we're relaxed (watching TV or something) and he's OK with it,

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now