Talk

Advanced search

Worried cat is going to get run over

(7 Posts)
Rollergirl1 Sun 07-Oct-12 16:40:30

Our cat is literally just a year old. We live on a very busy road. Up till now the cat has never really shown an interest in the front of the house and I have never seen him out the front and nor have any of my neighbours. Last weekend and this weekend DH has been doing some painting to the front of the house and the front door so the front door has been open for large parts of the day. Last week the cat was out the front with us but didn't venture past the gates and on to the road. About an hour ago he shot across the road and went in to a neighbours house. I went and retrieved him and brought him back and scolded him. Literally within 5 mins he managed to get out of the front door again(was very slightly ajar waiting for paint to dry) and ran out in to the road and a car had to swerve not to hit him! He was very scared but didn't run back in to the house and went to the neighbours net doors front garden. He has absolutely no road sense whatsoever and now I'm worried that now he's "found the front" that it's only a matter of time before he gets run over.

How can I stop him from going out the front? I know that i physically can't stop him but I want to try and scare him or something because if he does keep going out there and running across the road he will definitely get hit by a car. He has never been interested in the past and I think it's literally us being out there the last 2 weekends that has made him aware of the front.

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 07-Oct-12 22:44:52

Keep him in at peak times ie school run and 4.30 onwards and keep him in at night, always let him out the back door.

We literally stood over our cat and shooed him back round the house when he went near the road but he does seem to have some understanding that cars are a bad thing as we used to drive at him when we saw him on our drive and bib the horn at him.

It's not as bad as it looks written down.

RightsaidFreud Mon 08-Oct-12 11:06:43

Fluffy LOVE the road safety that you've taught your cat!

OP, its a horrible worry isnt it? We're the same with our cat, luckily, we live on quiet road, but we tend to get boy racers at night. Agree with fluffy, try and keep him in at peak times and at night, most accidents involving cats do happen at night. It might take some time if hes used to going out at night. Whenever I see ours out the front/side, I always go and grab him and bring him in and tell him off (yes, i'm of THOSE people, ha) and I think he knows he's done wrong, he tries to run back into the back garden when he sees me out the front!

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 08-Oct-12 18:07:26

No cats were harmed in this road safety training.

MrsGrumps Mon 08-Oct-12 20:19:39

Mine are only allowed out at weekends as I live on a road with a busy school on the corner. I'm in constant fear everytime I let them out so I understand your fear.

Have you thought about limiting him to just your garden with Purr-fect fencing?

Mum2Luke Sun 14-Oct-12 16:29:57

I'm a bit worried about that too when our cat is allowed out in 4 weeks. She is quite nervous at the moment, don't know her history other than she was found pregnant about a year ago and taken to the local animal shelter where she had her kittens.

I hope by then she will have stopped clawing the carpet!!

Vulgar Mon 15-Oct-12 12:59:04

Oh it's such a worry isn't it? I would pay good money for a brilliant solution. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a perfect one.If it is just t he front door he is escaping from and not round the side of your house, you could try a scat mat
It gives a very small static shock to deter escapees. one of my friends swears by it although visitors (in socks) are a little surprised when they get a buzz. Might not be a good idea if you have small children tho!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now