Talk

Advanced search

Cats moving to Mallorca...?

(5 Posts)
ChunkyMonkeyMother Fri 21-Sep-12 12:30:28

Morning all,

I am currently looking after 2 cats - Their owner works the holiday seasons in Spain and Greece but has decided that after this season she is going to move permenantly to Mallorca, she has asked if I will sort the cats out with the neccessary jabs/checks/paperwork and I said I would try - I have had a look on DEFRA but to be honest I don't really understand so was hoping I might find someone on here that has done it.

When I spoke to the vet she said that the problem wouldn't be with the cats leaving this country but getting through the others to get to Mallorca (They are going to be driven in a campervan).

So far I think they need a flea/worm treatment and check up but then after that I am utterly confused - My friend has said she will check on the EXPAT forum but I said I would ask the trusty MN cat lovers!

TIA

CMMX

Nigglenaggle Fri 21-Sep-12 12:45:24

They will need a rabies vaccination. Three weeks after that they can travel (presume they arent going outside Europe). They will also need to be microchipped if they arent already. Flea and tick treatment not compulsory now but advisable as the ticks carry diseases you dont want the cats to get. Your vet needs an extra qualification to be able to do the paperwork but most practices have one such person. It can be pricey. Good luck!

ChunkyMonkeyMother Fri 21-Sep-12 12:50:52

Oh great - thank you! I will have to check on microchipping as they are not mine - very good information - thank you!

Lonecatwithkitten Sat 22-Sep-12 13:28:47

I'm guessing the vet you spoke to is not a panel 2 LVIV as this is our bread and butter. In addition to the microchip, rabies vacc and correct paperwork they will need to conform to the EU live animals act for stops regularly for short periods and every 8 hours for longer rest.
A lot of people are currently being caught and fined on this one. It is best to have a written journey plan to show where and when you will be stopping.
Personally if I was doing the trip I would fly cats as they are really not as easy to road transport as dogs.

issey6cats Sat 22-Sep-12 18:45:34

look for pet passport scheme this should give you some information , i have just adopted a dog from a rescue in cyprus and she flew over, she had rabies shots, neutered, deflead wormed and microchipped

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now