Talk

Advanced search

Aaarrrgh! Kitten won't poo in her litter tray

(10 Posts)
MyChildrenHaveHorns Sat 15-Sep-12 16:30:56

Got a 12 week old kitten last week from a rescue house. She is utterly lovely in every way but she won't poo in her litter tray.
She will wee there but seems to prefer the fitted coir matting by the back door sad
I've changed the litter to the woodchip type, as recommended by the lady I got her from, but no dice.
I've doused the coir matting with olbas oil, but again, not working.
She'll go if I put her in the tray and I give her a dreamie treat when she does.
The matting is directly opposite the litter tray FFS!
She's never been outside, so isn't going by the door for that reason.
Help?? Any advice appreciated.

issey6cats Sat 15-Sep-12 18:14:36

all i can suggest is when shes done a poo transfer it to the litter tray and leave it there for a little while she may get the idea from the smell being in the tray and the matting olbas oil wont do it, she will still be able to smell the poos she did before you need to wash the matting with non bio washing powder right through to the backing or have a second litter tray in that spot if possible she might just not like going poos and wees in the same tray funny buggers cats

RedwingWinter Sat 15-Sep-12 20:22:27

What issey said. Also, keep putting her in the tray like you have been doing, and it will become habit for her to go there. After she's eaten, put her in the tray and scratch at the litter with your finger to give her the idea.

totallypearshaped Sun 16-Sep-12 16:10:42

Cut up the pooped on coir mat and put a bit of it into her tray - replace it smaller and smaller squares until there is none.

Put her nose in the poo if she continues to do it outside the box, and hold her paw and move it in the litter, so she gets the idea of how to move the litter.

issey6cats Sun 16-Sep-12 16:55:49

sorry totally pearshaped but no one would put a 12 week old kittens nose in poo that they had done somewhere they shouldnt poor kitten would put her off pooing anywhere especially the litter tray, it sounds like she hasnt been shown by a mommy or a human how to use the tray properly as ive fostered 5 weeks old kittens without mom who have used the tray for both purposes , just do what redwing and i have said and keep reinforcing by kindness the idea that poos go in the tray aswell as wees

Yddraigoldragon Sun 16-Sep-12 17:02:47

Put the litter tray on the coir matting, once she is used to going there move it over to where you need it to be but slowly. Or buy another to put there for a few weeks?

purplepenguin86 Sun 16-Sep-12 17:19:22

Try to be around and as soon as she looks like she is going to do a poo pick her up and put her in the litter box. In the end she will get the hang of it - I did that with my kittens earlier this year, and after a while of being picked up and deposited in the litter box mid poo they got the hang of it!

MyChildrenHaveHorns Mon 17-Sep-12 18:01:40

I'd never push her face in poo - yuck!! I'm not gonna cut up my fitted matting either, it's bloody expensive stuff.
I'm trying to catch her after eating and put her in the tray, (she pooed when I did this tonight, yay grin)
If she goes on the matt, I'm transferring it as suggested then taking her back to the matt, saying no quite sternly, taking her back to the tray, putting her in, stroking her and saying good girl. DH thinks I'm nuts hmm.
Thanks to you all for your replies.

totallypearshaped Thu 20-Sep-12 00:05:39

It's what their mother does to train them.

lemonpie7 Fri 28-Sep-12 17:55:05

I had this problem with a new kitten and a shelf for towels! She is ok now though. What worked was keeping the litter tray very clean, scrubbing the towel shelf clean to get rid of the smell and covering the towel shelf with a sheet of silver foil, which crinkled when she put a paw on it. She never pooed there again, and has always gone in the tray since.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now