Talk

Advanced search

Removing litter tray

(3 Posts)
justabigdisco Wed 26-Oct-11 11:10:13

Hi all
We would like to take our tray away to encourage cats (7 months) to go outside. We have a microchip cat flap, which we close at night (in fact with recent dark evenings we close it around 6ish)
I am worried about leaving them until the next morning to be able to use the toilet. Last night I brought the litter tray in at around 11pm so that they could use it before going to sleep, but they didnt use it, so we took it away again. This morning they were fine and not desperate to go out.
My question is, is it OK to leave them from 6pm until 7am without access to a toilet or could that cause problems?
Thanks

LittleJennyRobyn Wed 26-Oct-11 11:40:12

Yes IMO it's fine to leave them without the tray overnight, but from 6 pm until 7 am maybe too long, so be aware that if they are desperate to go during the night they might pee/poo in random places that aren't so obvious.
I would personally let them out supervised for the toilet before going to bed. That way should be fine till morning

I dont like having a litter tray, but my 10 year old cat has started to pee during the night so have had to re-instate it, the two other ones (7 and 1) can manage perfectly fine overnight.

My mums cat is the bee's knee's, if she is desperate for a pee during the night she squat's down in the bath and pee's down the plughole!! grin

I so wish i could teach mine this!!

suzi2 Wed 26-Oct-11 12:39:45

I agree with LittleJennyRobyn - if they need they'll start finding other places to go. Corners of the room, plughole, anything vaguely square that might resemble a litter tray. My cat only used his litter tray once in a blue moon (he could hold all day/night) but it was still there if he needed. I'd rather that than mess to clear up TBH. Is it a problem to leave a litter tray somewhere on a permenant basis just in case?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now