Talk

Advanced search

My cat is ill, what could it be?

(21 Posts)
SenSationsMad Mon 24-Oct-11 09:43:23

She went out Friday morning and didn't come nabk until late that night, which is unusual. She seemed fine then.
Yesterday, she didn't do anything but sleep. Didn't eat or drink or use the litter tray.
This morning she's the same, very flat. She's sitting up but not moving and still not eating or drinking.
Could it be worms??? I don't want to think that she's been poisoned.
I can't remember when I last had her wormed, but don't want to do it now when she's so weak.
I'm keeping her quiet now until our appointments at the vets, 3.40pm

DrinkYourWeakLemonDrinkNow Mon 24-Oct-11 10:03:35

Have you checked her all over? She may be hiding a bite or injury under her fur. Glad you have a vet appt. That is the most sensible thing.

Maybe a little cooked fish would tempt her. My two both went off their food for about three days last week. Just as I was starting to worry and ringing the vets they perked up and started eating again.

SenSationsMad Mon 24-Oct-11 10:35:58

When I picked her up yesteday to move her she wasn't very happy with me, but I don't know where its hurting her sad
I've tried her with tuna and milk and water.
The vet receptionist suggested boilded rice or cooked chicken.
I have seen her like this before like you said, and came round on her own, but this is longer. Could it be worms you think???

DrinkYourWeakLemonDrinkNow Mon 24-Oct-11 10:49:06

Could be I guess, but it seems a coincidence this has started since she went awol for a bit. Maybe she ate something iffy when she was out.

Just keep her quiet and comfortable with water and food on standby until it's time to go to the vet. The vet will be able to examine her and deduce where she feels tender and why. Cats do have a habit of retreating inside themselves when they feel unwell. All normal behaviour but worrying. If only they could tell us what's wrongsad.

Hope she's ok, poor pusscat.

SenSationsMad Mon 24-Oct-11 10:53:49

Thank you. I remember my DF telling me when I was much younger that I wasn't fit to be a mother cos I couldn't cope when my pets were ill. Nice!

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 24-Oct-11 10:55:50

When my cats like that its usually infection. There could be a bite wound somewhere or something like infected anal glands.

I'd be at the vets getting it checked out.

crabb Mon 24-Oct-11 11:04:38

Bet you she's been in an altercation with another cat, and is brewing a cat- bite abscess.

SenSationsMad Mon 24-Oct-11 11:17:29

I called the vets at 9.05 this mornong and they offered me an appointment at 4.40 pm!
When I asked for something sooner, she grudgingly offered the 3.40 slot.
I can't see any scratches or obvious signs of fighting.
I'm paranoid that its poisoning or a pellet gun sound.
Right, it's no good me thinking the worst so will stay positive. I'll be back after the appointment to let you know the diagnosis.

SenSationsMad Mon 24-Oct-11 11:18:28

* wound

buggerlugs82 Mon 24-Oct-11 12:58:06

Have a look at her gums, are they pale?

Keep her warm and leave her quiet and take her to the vets appt and let us know how you get on.

SenSationsMad Mon 24-Oct-11 17:26:57

She's got a viral infection of some sort. She has a high temp, and has been given an antibiotic injection.
I'm to take her back tomorrow to check her temp, if its still high, the vets with do some blood test.
She still hasn't eaten, but has had a poo in the liiter tray. Sleeping it off now, poor thing.

buggerlugs82 Mon 24-Oct-11 18:30:35

Aww poor little thing. Mine had a viral infection once, i had to force feed him tablet. Had St Johns on standby cos he's a nasty bugger!!

SenSationsMad Mon 24-Oct-11 18:34:24

I opted out of that battle, thats why she was given the injection! It must have worked , cos she's eaten some chicken smile

buggerlugs82 Mon 24-Oct-11 18:36:15

Yey!! She probably feels loads better, vets drugs are really strong. I have had 4 cats in my time, 1 i lost to IMHA (a REALLY rare disorder when she was only 4) so my vets know me very well and i've seen all sorts of illnessess.

Fingers crossed she'll soon be back to normal in 24 hours. Cats hide how they're feeling really well so she must have been feeling rotten.

SenSationsMad Tue 25-Oct-11 11:56:22

She's eating again this morning, still a bit fragile, but much better. Thanks for thw hand holding smile

buggerlugs82 Tue 25-Oct-11 13:29:10

Anytime. All pet owners need theirs holding at one time or another.

DrinkYourWeakLemonDrinkNow Tue 25-Oct-11 14:24:02

That's fantastic news!smile I was thinking about her; really glad she's on the up. You must be relieved.

(My dear little cat is in disgrace for licking the butter <gross> and now I've had to throw it out. He knows perfectly well not to climb onto the kitchen worktops. The least he could do is look sorry..but he doesn't look remotely contrite, not one bithmm)

SenSationsMad Tue 25-Oct-11 16:12:25

Nothings safe here either....brekfast cereal, cakes, sandwiches, crisps. You only need turn your back for a second!

buggerlugs82 Tue 25-Oct-11 17:31:04

When my cat (who is now deceased) was on steriods she would fight me to try to get into the fridge. NOTHING was safe.

I've caught my boy cat licking the meat i've got out to defrost for tea. Luckily he's only had a couple of licks so i've chopped a bit off, put it in bin and cooked the hell out of the remainder!

suzi2 Wed 26-Oct-11 12:43:35

Glad she's better. I'm worse when pets are ill than children - children can generally give you an idea what's wrong. Pets just get all grumpy and elusive!

SenSationsMad Wed 26-Oct-11 12:57:58

smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now