Talk

Advanced search

does anyone know anything about feline cancer, I think Fili is dying

(8 Posts)
filiscare Thu 20-Oct-11 20:31:28

My cat has adenocarcinoma, unfortunately its now terminal. She has developed effusions which have been drained. Took her to the vets tonight as she is quite bloated, not really eating much and not using her tray much.
Last week she weighed 2.94 kilos after having her fluid drained, now despite holding fluid she weighs 2.44 kilos
The vet says she's not in any pain so no reason to change her meds (ferusomide and prednisolne) but surely the loss of appetite, loss of activity and weight loss can't be good.
Someone please help me, I'm so worried about my little cat.

Onemorning Thu 20-Oct-11 21:34:08

I don't have any advice as my boy Jas had a different type of cancer and was 'well' (little weight loss, good appetite etc) until the last week or so.

If she's not in pain that is a good thing, if the vet is happy with her weight I would try not to worry (but know that isn't easy).

Big hugs x

MyLittleFluffball Thu 20-Oct-11 23:26:35

I'm so very sorry. I am going through a similar thing at the moment and posted about it, my thread is here:

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/the_litter_tray/1321771-My-14-year-old-cat-has-a-large-rapidly-growing-tumour-in-her-abdomen-scared-she-is-near-the-end-advice-and-personal-stories-appreciated

You may find advice/ ideas in this thread that are helpful to you.

I hope that you've had enough time to process and come to terms with the cancer diagnosis (as much as anyone can come to terms with such a horrible diagnosis). If I were you I would also be worried about my cat - it's very good to know she's not in pain, but yes, the weight loss and lack of interest in food and reduced activity would really worry me. Perhaps you can just keep monitoring her - if she refuses to eat at all, for example, you may know it's time for her to be put to sleep.

How old is your cat?

Thinking of you. xxx Please feel free to continue to post here for support if you want, I found support extremely helpful in wrapping my head around the issues and sorting out my options.

filiscare Fri 21-Oct-11 09:25:35

mylittlefluffball Fili Bear was diagnosed with cancer in July and the tumour was removed, though it had spread to her lymph nodes, so would come back. Found out just over a week ago it is now back and there is nothing that can be done. She has had an effusion drained twice and it has now returned.
She is only 4.
I have just made peace with the fact we are going to lose her and I think that now that she is showing signs of decline it is probably best for hr to go now (which is totaly contrary to my opinion last week), but the vet disagrees as she is not in any obvious pain.

MyLittleFluffball Fri 21-Oct-11 10:06:32

That's so sad that she is only 4 years old. sad What a terrible shock for you. It is good that you have enjoyed a few more months together. I'm sure that she has lived the best life she could possibly live with you, it sounds like you love her very much.

I suspect my cat has lymphosarcoma. But will find out for sure on Monday I think.

As others have told me, you will know when it is time to let go of your cat. You don't want her to suffer unnecessarily in a prolonged manner. It may be worth getting a second opinion from a different vet regarding whether or not your cat is in discomfort - I have found that really helpful for myself; if I had not done so I would probably have put my cat down on Monday, but instead she is doing fantastically well on steroids currently.

I'm glad you've come to terms with the fact that you're going to lose her - as much as one can come to terms with that. We are all going to lose our pets at some point, unless we die before them, which is probably a worse thing to have happen (as who will take care of them then?). There is a lot of agony in just waiting around each day, worrying about every noise/ strange thing your cat does and putting life "on hold" as much as you can to try to take care of your cat to the best of your ability. It is very difficult trying to judge when is the "right time". I wouldn't want my cat to be in lots of pain before putting her to sleep, but if she is not feeling any pain then I would also question the wisdom of putting her to sleep. There is also the fear that if you don't "control" the death, your cat may die a painful death that is out of your control, which you may regret for the rest of your life. Very difficult issues to battle with.

Thinking of you. xxx

Onemorning Fri 21-Oct-11 11:45:54

I'm so sorry fili. Big hugs xxx

filiscare Fri 21-Oct-11 19:07:48

Well we have just got in from work and Fili Bear has just had the first bit of food she has had all day. That means at most she would have had half a pouch today.

MyLittleFluffball Sat 22-Oct-11 00:13:21

That is very reassuring. It is still a lot less than she would usually eat, but she still has interest in food.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now