Talk

Advanced search

my cat ruins the litter liner everytime he uses it

(10 Posts)
booyhoo Wed 05-Oct-11 17:24:14

i have 3 cats, 2 of them cant go outside so i have to have litter trays. my eldest cat (3 years old) pulls and claws the liner everytime he uses the tray leaving lots of big holes in the liner and pulling it over his poo so the poo goes on the liner meaning i have to change the whole tray everytime he uses it. none of the other cats do this. i have tried a deeper tray, using more litter, less litter, taping the sides of the liner to the tray, using shallower liners and rolling the sides down to the level of the litter but nothing works, he still destroys the liner everytime. any ideas for getting round this problem?

RedwingWinter Wed 05-Oct-11 18:17:32

One of mine does this too. Having deeper litter helps a bit, but she still does it, just not as badly. She does it much less with crystals rather than a clay-based cat litter, though again it still happens. I'll be watching this thread with interest!

girlywhirly Thu 06-Oct-11 07:51:36

I just don't bother with a liner at all. You should be able to just scoop out the poo and the litter immediately around it to dispose, you don't need to clean out the whole tray.

AyesToTheRight Thu 06-Oct-11 07:55:24

I've never used a liner for DCat's litter tray - just do the same as girlywhirly.

SecretNutellaFix Thu 06-Oct-11 08:13:14

We tried them when my two were kittens but as it resulted in shredded plastic and litter everywhere, we stopped using them.

Scoop out the solids and then twice a week a full clear out and wipe down of the tray.

Ben10WasTheSpawnNowWeLoveLego Thu 06-Oct-11 08:18:24

Oko plus cats best cat litter is what you need. You flush the clumps down the toilet and then the rest of the tray is clean. You only need to completely change every 4 to 6 weeks.

booyhoo Thu 06-Oct-11 10:01:33

yep looks like i'm going to have to get rid of the liners.

ben10 is oko plus expensive?

Ben10WasTheSpawnNowWeLoveLego Thu 06-Oct-11 12:56:39

I got a huge 40 litre sack for around 25 pounds delivered from zooplus in March. I have 2 cats and it has just run out! I think it is great value.

Ben10WasTheSpawnNowWeLoveLego Thu 06-Oct-11 12:58:37

They do sell it in pets at home in smaller bags if you want to try it out

booyhoo Thu 06-Oct-11 14:15:37

thank you ben10 going to try it from pets at home and see how i get on with that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now