Talk

Advanced search

Are we being blasé about DS and cat?

(7 Posts)
BlingLoving Wed 05-Oct-11 02:49:41

We have a much lived three year old cat we have had for about a year. He lives people and tends to like being around them, including children, but he isn't a "lap cat". He does sleep on our bed sometimes but likes to lie at our feet.

Ww have caught him trying to have a snooze in ds' crib a few times when ds is not there and have chased him out. However, it's only a matter I'd time until we go into ds room and find him in the crib with ds. I feel quite relaxed about this as our cat seems unlikely to try sleeping on ds but am I being too blasé? Should I be more careful? Just because the cat doesn't do anything dangerous with us does that mean he won't with ds? Ds is four months.

NatashaBee Wed 05-Oct-11 03:31:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Lizcat Wed 05-Oct-11 09:11:53

I have a PFB cat and then I got DD. My beuatiful moggy girl slept in the cot, the pushchair and the pram when DD was not there. I used cat nets on the pram which worked and I shut the cat out of DDs room. One day when DD was 5 months old (she could roll over at this point) I went to wake her up and there was PFB cat at the far end of the cot, at this point I figured PFB cat was more at risk than DD they have slept together now for 7 years.
PFB cat has sniffed, licked and snuggled with DD I think the fact that she is never ever had V and D is partly down to PFB cat exposing her to lots of lovely bacteria.
PFB cat has taught DD to be kind and gentle and now she is elderly she is teaching her to be toughtful watching for when PFB cat needs help.
Yes I am the mad cat woman.grin

BlingLoving Wed 05-Oct-11 09:46:23

Thanks both. Lizcat - that's what we want to happen with cat and ds but I am not sure if we are being naive. Having said that, 2yo nephew bashed cat with toy truck once by mistake and cat simply walked away with a resigned air!! So we do feel he's pretty safe! Ifhe sleeps in crib with ds, fine. If he sleeps on ds face, less fine! smile

ripstheirthroatoutliveupstairs Fri 07-Oct-11 14:35:18

Careful it doesn't suck all the breath out of your DS too. wink
My DD was born when we had two cats, both were about six months old and terrified of her.
I just made sure they didn't go into the room her cot was in.

SparklyCloud Sat 08-Oct-11 12:58:21

You are behaving as i did with adult cats and my kids when they were babies. The cats liked to be around adults and babies and posed no threat at all, they like being in the cots and moses baskets due to all the lovely warm bedding, don't worry your baby will be fine! Jealousy will only occur if you stop treating this as normal and start kicking the cat out.

KittieCat Sat 08-Oct-11 13:05:34

Think I love Lizcat! We have been totally relaxed with our three cats and 9mo DS. No harm has come to anyone. I wouldn't over think things. You know your cat and if you think he's to be trusted then you're v likely to be right.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now