Talk

Advanced search

Can you tell how big a cat will grow to by the size of their paws?

(5 Posts)
ripstheirthroatoutliveupstairs Tue 04-Oct-11 12:29:01

I have two 22 week old boys. Both have been neutered and eat well. They are about the size of my girls cats at full size. These are the first males I've ver had and I was just watching them fight and realised how big their feet are.
Is the size an indicator of how big they will grow? I know nothing of the parents, they came from a cat rescue locally to us.

LittleJennyRobyn Tue 04-Oct-11 13:30:33

In my experience, (I have had many cats in my care over the years) the size of the paws ususally indicates the build of the cat.

For instance my ginger boy has massive paws (like saucers my mum always says!!) He is huge and has a solid/stocky build. He looks like a maine coon.

My eldest cat has smallish paws but is a big cat only more sleak in build.

my youngest is only 1 but has smallish paws at the moment but looks like he is going to be big and very much like the eldest.

Sound's like you are going to have big heavy boys!!

corygal Tue 04-Oct-11 13:38:15

My darling tabby has vast fat white paws. He is a very big cat, but not quite as giant as one would think from the paws - rescue cats are often malnourished. Sob. But as you've got yours from kittenhood, they should be ok to reach their full furry potential. The bigger the better in a cat.

ripstheirthroatoutliveupstairs Tue 04-Oct-11 13:57:34

Mine are definitely not malnourished. Not sure of their history, but I know they had been living with the slightly bonkers rescuer for about six week when we got them at 12.
I am not keen on the belly swaying look in cats, my two are well built but not fat not thin. There is always dried food and water available.
Do cats over eat like me or self regulate?

One of mine self regulates (read..fussy little bugger!) and she is very dainty. She would LIKE to live off fresh prawns , tuna and the odd curry..but gets felix pouches.

The other is six dinner Sid (brilliant kids story!) He is VERY greedy.. if anyone goes into the kitchen (often as there are 6 of us) he follows chirping hopefully. He is a massive cat as he's a Maine Coon and is 10 kg ..but slim..just an enormous beastie, but if we fed him as often as he'd like he'd make the newspapers! As it is he probably has 5 meals a day, plus unlimited dry food!
He will steal anything.. put a plate down at your peril! He also begs shamelessly and was caught on my neighbours lap on her doorstep the other day being fed 'nice ham'!!! There is very little he won't eat! But he is so utterly gorgeous he gets away with it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now