Talk

Advanced search

Is this cat dying? bloody poo and super yellow urine.

(3 Posts)
megapixie Mon 03-Oct-11 10:27:19

My mum has an older cat. She is a rescue cat so we don't know how old she is, from how old they said she was, she would now be 12 but we think probably a bit older. I don't have much experience with cats as I'm more of a dog person, although I am fond of this cat and I'm worried.

When they got her, she was blind in one eye from a car accident. About 5 years ago she had to have the blind eye removed as there was something (I don't know what - all I know is it wasn't cancer) behind it. She was fine after this.

Anyway, I looked after the cat whilst they were away for the weekend. Her poop had a blood in it and her urine was very very yellow. I made sure I put lots of water down for her and just gave her the regular food. Apart from the toilet issue she seemed fine, but it's hard to tell as shes more of a sleep-all-day-in-the-airing cupboard-cat, than sit-on-your-knee-and-be-fussed-over-cat.

She has very long fur which makes her look big, but when I picked her up I was surprised how thin and fragile feeling she is. Her tummy seems to hang very very low, too. I don't know if any of this is related - I don't know what to look for with cats.

I mentioned it to my Mum who said she 'hadn't noticed'. She was very vague about taking her to vets when I asked. My Mum would really struggle losing another pet, as they had their lovely dog pts earlier in the year.

Is it likely that my Mums cat is dying/seriously ill or could it be curable?

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 03-Oct-11 16:56:51

they do get bony as they get older but surely bloody poo is not good? I think vets just to be on the safe side.

WhereYouLeftIt Mon 03-Oct-11 17:07:01

My cats became very thin in their last years, just lost their appetite. But the very yellow wee may mean she is dehydrated or has a kidney problem - my vet told me that kidney failure was relatively common in very old cats.

You really need to get vet to have a look.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now