Talk

Advanced search

Diabetes in cats...

(4 Posts)
MaryAnnSingleton Sun 02-Oct-11 13:15:03

My parents cat has just been diagnosed- he is currently at the vets on a drip but should be home tomorrow- he is going to need 2 injections a day-my mum can't manage because of arthritic hands-and I suspect that dad is a bit worried about doing this. I live a stone's throw away so will of course help out, but actually am a bit nervous about the responsibility of getting it right- any advice ?

MaryAnnSingleton Sun 02-Oct-11 16:26:33

oldandcrabby Sun 02-Oct-11 17:38:29

Very easy, scruff of the neck, needle in and push. They are very fine needles. You can practice on an orange or a tomato! If you and your dad do it together, one can cuddle, the other do the deed. My burmese hardly noticed. I even persuaded my neighbour to do it when I went away.
I put my cat on a diabetic kibble, Royal Canin I think, and bought off the internet, much cheaper than vet. Do ensure the cat drinks though. She was 13 when diagnosed and lived happily until she finally went at 16+.

Still missed but the vets 'gave' me a blue tortie with a broken pelvis and no tail (RTA) who is a complete madam and still plays in the road.

MaryAnnSingleton Sun 02-Oct-11 18:52:47

aw -thanks oldandcrabby- he is a very large cat so there should be lots of scruff to grab..he has Royal Canin dental stuff,but I guess they'll want him to have the diabetic stuff. Am sure we'll manage somehow ! Smog is about 6 so is still fairly young- a rescue boy and adorable.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: