Talk

Advanced search

My poor babybear has gone [sad]

(14 Posts)
MammKernow Thu 29-Sep-11 20:29:18

Apologies for any mistakes, bit upset atm.

We adopted 2 birmans last year, bro and sis. 3 months ago, the girl was killed by a car sad. Tonight, we lost her bro the same way sad sad. Both just got left in the road angry; with the bro, we were alerted by the farmer who kindly came up to our house with him.

We live in the country. We are surrounded by fields. But there is one road, not busy but it is a country lane so 60mph.

We have 3 other cats, one is ancient (19), the other two are pretty much still kittens. So how do we scare them out of the road (19 year old obv has it figured out)? I can't go through this again. I can't stop crying.

sephrenia Thu 29-Sep-11 21:07:47

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. I don't have any advice for the kittens but I didn't want this to go unread sad

MammKernow Thu 29-Sep-11 21:20:58

Thanks sephrenia, I'm hoping the kittens are a bit more switched on (they are stray moggies, just like the 19 yo is). The birmans were both beautiful but brainless.

And i feel so guilty - if someone else had adopted them, they'd still be alive sad

sephrenia Thu 29-Sep-11 21:33:03

Don't think like that! Lots of cats have the attention spans of gnats at the best of times (unless food or naps are involved) as well you know!

You couldn't have prevented it any more than someone else could have had they been the ones to adopt them. At least you loved them and that's better than having gone to a home who may not have been as kind as you were.

Have an un-mumsnetty <<hug>> from me.

MammKernow Thu 29-Sep-11 21:43:24

That set me off again <sob> but thanks <brave smile>

We buried him next to his sister, under our plum tree. I'd never lost a cat until last year, when we lost the 19 yo's sis to cancer - and that was awful, losing her after 18 years. She is also under the plum tree. They do give you some heartache, don't they? Last 2 years not been good for cats sad

Oh yes, that they do, but then, all the good times make up for it smile

mycatsaysach Thu 29-Sep-11 22:00:56

sad i have a siamese who is an indoor cat.dd takes him out in the afternoon on a lead round the garden.
the breed cats are a bit hopeless with traffic - i think this is a good solution.

SecretNutellaFix Thu 29-Sep-11 22:02:37

I'm so sorry. I've lost 2 to the roads.sad

MammKernow Thu 29-Sep-11 22:40:17

Thanks all.

mycatsaysach - I did wonder if it was partly down to breed. And i don't think keeping the others in is an option - kitten2 is already trying to open doors by the handle (she is not allowed out yet, being 'done' next week), GrumpyOldCat can open a locked cat flap.

SecretNutellaFix sad too many of us experience it i guess. I didn't think moving here would make life more dangerous for cats, i thought it would be like kitty heaven, roaming the fields, bringing back small furry 'toys' (babybear used to bring back rabbits. Sometimes live rabbits by the scruff.)

So the others will be smarter, yes? <hopeful> Like GrumpyOldCat?

mycatsaysach Thu 29-Sep-11 22:42:14

mine is more like a rabbit than a cat and would have the same road sense

MammKernow Thu 29-Sep-11 22:42:36

Sephrenia, yes good times do make up for it. The other 3 are all gathered round me atm, they can be so empathic smile

chocolateyclur Thu 29-Sep-11 22:43:11

I'm sorry sad

MammKernow Thu 29-Sep-11 22:44:31

mycatsaysach - you made me smile for the first time tonight, you win a prize thanks grin

mycatsaysach Thu 29-Sep-11 22:47:11

now you've made me all tearful - smile thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now