Talk

Advanced search

Are all cats like this?

(9 Posts)
NorkyPies Tue 27-Sep-11 23:22:57

I like to be affectionate with my cat, but her approaches just irritate me! For a start, she chooses moments when I have just settled down to concentrate on something. She then keeps poking at the edge of my hand and arm with a cold nose, and rubs her face against the corner of my laptop or book. She is timid, but persistent. I wish she wouldn't focus on edges and corners! She won't accept a full cuddle for more than a moment or two.

chickydoo Tue 27-Sep-11 23:26:58

Yep, cat's do this..lots!
They can sense you are relaxed, and feel comfortable around you, your cat is telling you she love you. Cats generally don't want to be cuddled, they prefer to sit on a knee, or next to you, if you get too physical with them, they have a sense of being overpowerd. Cat's don't like that. as after all they are the boss.

Claw3 Wed 28-Sep-11 08:03:50

Rubbing her face against the corners of things, she is putting her scent onto them, marking them, its a sign of affection.

She is saying you belong to her, not the laptop or book!

ColdSancerre Wed 28-Sep-11 08:18:31

Yes

Lizcat Wed 28-Sep-11 15:23:02

They are not all like this. Beautiful moggy girl is like this, arrogant posh boy is not - infact he only ever wants attention at 4 am and will wake you to provide the level of attention he requires.

NorkyPies Wed 28-Sep-11 19:33:31

Thanks for replies. Sounds like a girl thing. I used to have a boy Abyssinian, who was up for a full snog at any time.

SecretNutellaFix Wed 28-Sep-11 19:37:13

I have that too with my girl cat. My boy cat however is an attention whore. He does the whole flinging himself at whatever you're reading, purring loudly, pulling your hand away from the keyboard with his flexed paws and then drooling all over it. I spread a newspaper out and he literally throws his whole body down on the floor with a "flump" and starts writhing, demanding attention. His sister is usually just looking at him disgustedly.
All of the male cats I've ever had have been happy to be nursed like babies. The girls seem to be much more independent and self possessed.

ColdSancerre Wed 28-Sep-11 20:01:13

Not necessarily a girl thing, both my boys do it, as did my old boy who passed away last year. My youngest boy cat is terrible for it.

NorkyPies Wed 28-Sep-11 20:02:34

Yep, same sex difference in ferrets and rats, too (males more willing to be cuddled).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now