Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Argh help me with a dilemma

(6 Posts)
4c4good Sat 24-Sep-11 18:42:52

So I have worn my animal-savvy friends out with this issue - maybe I can get some more persepctives on this.

I am single, work full time and live alone with no kids or visiting kids. I share responsibility for my two DD (deardogs) with my ex - mainly they are here at weekends.

I also have a 2 yo cat already from rescue who came to me a year ago and I am very close to her and she to me. She is gentle but very laid back and friendly, used to dogs and cats ( neighbour cats sneak in sometimes and she is always very gracious to them!)

I am devoted to all my animals. Over the last few months I have been thinking about getting another rescue cat and keep looki ng at websites etc and recently found a lovely boy and went to see him, was home checked and agreed to take him.

Now I am having second thougths! he is lovely - very confident and loving but I wake up thinking 'am I doing the right thing?' It would be humiliaitng and nasty to mess the rescue around and give back word - but I think this is better than making a bad decision.

Argh.

stinkyfluffycat Sat 24-Sep-11 22:37:40

You sound lovely.. hopefully if the rescue knows what its doing and they've homechecked you they will know you've already got a cat and two visiting dogs and will have offered you a cat they think would be happy with that?
Would they be prepared to take the new cat back if he wasn't happy with you due to the other animals?

4c4good Sat 24-Sep-11 22:48:28

Hi Stinky

Thank you! Yes they would - he is from the cats protection league where lovely girl came from. I am planning to take the introduction very very slowly... but what if current cat starts to hate me? I'd be devastated!

stinkyfluffycat Sat 24-Sep-11 23:03:26

If she doesn't mind neighbouring cats visiting hopefully she'll be ok with it?
Talk to the CPL and explain your worries - they would prob rather take the chance that new cat will be happy & accepted in his new home with you, knowing they might end up taking him back, than turn down a loving home?
You might get hisses for a few days in any case, one of mine spent 3 days hissing at her own brother after he'd been in the vet for a few days, guess he didn't smell right!

4c4good Sun 25-Sep-11 17:18:05

Hi

Well I have decided to go for it and bought him a bed, an igloo, toys and food dishes!

I plan to keep him in one room for a while till everyone is used to everyone else's smell, and take it very gradually.

Now a name. He is jet black and called Jet but I think I want to change it....

stinkyfluffycat Sun 25-Sep-11 22:11:32

Good luck! I think if you change the name you're supposed to keep to the same number of syllables or it confuses the cat?
Hope it all goes well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now