Talk

Advanced search

One cat or two?

(9 Posts)
LetLoveRule Tue 20-Sep-11 07:15:37

So we've decided to get a cat. Lady from the rescue calls - she has a cat for us. The cat also has a sister that needs rehoming. The lady says it is fine to split them up, but i am worried they will suffer being apart? They are 5 months. Is 2 much more work than one??

Mammonite Tue 20-Sep-11 07:36:29

Hi, lucky you

We rehomed a mother and daughter pair of cats. This is because we were warned that the breed can be destructive if bored. Oh yeah! They sleep 23 hours out of 24!

Two are more expensive than one, although if you use cat-sitters they only charge by the visit. I wouldn't say they are any more work though - food, litter, vets all tends to get done together.

Two cats are 10x more cute than one, though, they curl up and sleep together and compete to get on your lap.

Also there will always be one cat that apparently eats 90% of the food.
Go for it if you can afford them both. They will be so much fun.

Mammonite Tue 20-Sep-11 07:40:12

see what I mean

northernmonkey Tue 20-Sep-11 07:46:52

Definitely 2 smile
I have 2 cats and find they keep each other company. As for expense I find it doesn't make too much difference but I buy a bog bag of food, and joint insurance etc

I'd say go for it, if not give me the number and I'll have the other one grin

LetLoveRule Tue 20-Sep-11 07:47:49

Aw!! Thanks for your reply. Didn't even realise you get catsitters! If I am hard hearted (unlikely) and get one (how would I choose!!) would they pine for each other???

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 20-Sep-11 10:32:56

We seperated our cat from his sister (she wasnt for sale) and he cried the first night but soon forgot about her and his mum as he realised the food bowl was all his.

Teds77 Tue 20-Sep-11 15:13:44

If you can afford it, fwiw, I think having two is nice. When we were growing up we had two 'single' cats - a stray who adopted us and then a rescue cat who didn't have brothers/sisters/friends etc. We now have two brothers who we adopted as kittens four years ago. We got two so that they kept each other company but I think we get more 'company' out of them compared to just having one. One cat is DH's stalker whilst the other thinks I'm his 'actual' mother hmm blush. There is always one around and about in the house if the other is being anti-social. One is more of a lap-cat whilst the other one is much more nervous. But all in all it means there are always plenty of cat cuddles to go around.

So no extra work with two. A bit of extra expense, yes. But twice as much cat-love grin.

LetLoveRule Tue 20-Sep-11 19:11:32

We got them both and they are gorgeous! I couldn't leave one behind. They are tucked up in the utility room, but I can't keep away. The kids love them too. So exciting!

pinkytheshrinky Tue 20-Sep-11 19:14:28

Oh I am so pleased - I meant to post earlier and thought you should get both - great news, enjoy them

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now