Talk

Advanced search

Playing with cats

(7 Posts)
dottyoddsocks Mon 19-Sep-11 13:06:30

Do you play with your cats much?I spend alot of time talking to my cats and stroking them but I find actually playing with them hard work sometimes.I feel guilty about this as I can tell when they are in the mood for games but often I just don't have the time or inclination to get the string out or throw their fabric mice around!I feel like I am being a mean owner!
They are allowed outside 24/7 though so I am hoping they get to have their fun chasing butterflies etc
Do you think if I played with them more we would develop a deeper bond or is talking to them and stroking enough?

iklboo Mon 19-Sep-11 13:11:40

Our cats' absolute favourite toy is the plastic inside of a Kinder Egg. We only need to throw it once or twice as its shape means it's unpredictable when they batter it so they can't be sure where it's going to go. Plus you get the bonus of eating the chocolate.

yesbutnobut Mon 19-Sep-11 19:36:08

I'm the same dotty. And I feel so guilty if, having given them a good run around one day, they look at me expectantly the next (uncannily normally at exactly the same time of day!). Good thing is they don't seem to bear a grudge if I haven't played with them for a while!

BibiBlocksberg Tue 20-Sep-11 21:46:27

I feel your pain OP as an extremely well trained slave!

One of mine follows me around the house mewing pitifully when it's time for me to get the string out.

Neighbours must think I'm mental as i dash past their windows, red string trailing on the ground, cat in hot pursuit smile

No tips on the guilt im afraid - cats have a way of making you feel you ought to report yourself to cats protection for the terrible 'neglect' you foist on them by not agreeing to every demand grin

SecretNutellaFix Tue 20-Sep-11 21:48:32

Mine are around me constantly- always "talking" to us and we chat to them. they get lots of affection and stroking and grooming.

bodiddly Tue 20-Sep-11 21:51:52

I am the same and it is rare nowadays for us to play with the cats. Ds does from time to time as they behave like dogs and fetch a mouse or ball if you throw it and then bring it back to you to have it thrown again.

ColdSancerre Tue 20-Sep-11 21:55:11

My cats mostly ignore me and play with each other. Even when I start playing with one of them the other turns up and they lose interest in me.

This morning for example they had a mouse in the garden. Hunter cat was in charge but sometimes dopey cat got to join in. How can I compete with that?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now