Talk

Advanced search

17 year old cat suddenly, like overnight, gone deaf.

(9 Posts)
posey Sat 17-Sep-11 21:26:26

he was at the vet a couple of weeks ago for routine annual health check. All fine, except ongoing thyroid problem for which he is on meds.
But suddenly he appears not to be able to hear. If he is asleep on the sofa, he wakes up and appears disorientated and wobbly but within seconds seems okay again and is walking normally.
Any ideas? He suddenly seems to have aged and I don't know what is normal in the ageing process and what is not. Not sure if I'm worrying unnecessarily.

Onemorning Sat 17-Sep-11 21:52:57

I have a lovely boy of 17 and it's horrible watching him get older. I also don't know what is 'normal', except for spending more time and money at the V.E.T. grin

It occurs to me that perhaps he's got an ear infection? That might explain wobbliness and deafness.

It might be worth taking him back and having a chat. Hopefully it'll be something like an infection and they can sort it.

posey Sat 17-Sep-11 22:06:12

Yes I thought that.not that I begrudge the money, but I do find the fact it costs an arm and a leg just to walk through the vets door a little off putting, if it is just to be told it is nothing to worry about.
Think I may see how he is tomorrow and if no improvement give the vet a call (who will tell me to bring him in I know)
Thanks for your reply. I found myself getting a bit ready earlier over him. Never had a pet this long before....

posey Sat 17-Sep-11 22:07:08

Not ready, teary. Bloomin iPad.

Onemorning Sat 17-Sep-11 22:20:10

I know what you mean about teary. We lost another cat to cancer last October, and 3 days later Oscar had his first fit. Since then we've found out he's got heart disease, epilepsy and struggles to jump up on things like he used to. He's my darling, I think the older he gets, the more I worry about him.

(((old kitties and their people)))

posey Sat 17-Sep-11 22:28:18

Oh that's tough. So far, apart from the hyperthyroidism, he's been pretty much healthy. Never had a pet so long, or such a pet iyswim? As kids we never had long term pets, just goldfish and small furry things that we never got attached to...

Onemorning Sat 17-Sep-11 22:33:48

I've grown up with cats, but Oscar is special because I got him when I moved out of home and lived alone. I've watched him change from crazy kitten to sedate elderly gentleman.

At the moment he's doing great on all the meds and as long as he can eat, purr and moan at us I think he'll do okay.

posey Fri 23-Sep-11 17:54:54

one morning after your very nice messages, just wanted to let you know how the old boy is.
Well after a couple of worrisome days, he really perked up again! Eyes brighter, more alert, no more falling off the sofa. And although he appears to be still hard of hearing, he does seem to be able to hear a bit again. It is soooo nice having the old fella back, and I even don't mind him coming and sitting on my chest in the morning to get me up. I can even forgive him getting cat litter all over the place smile

Onemorning Fri 23-Sep-11 20:55:24

Aw, I 'm so glad your wee boy is doing so well, thanks for telling me smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now