Talk

Advanced search

Cat coming into my house? Advice please

(13 Posts)

I have two DS's and no pets. There is a cat that keeps trying to get into our house. She is always in the back garden (the poo drives me mad). Twice I have left the back door open while DS1 was playing in the garden and have found her sitting on the kitchen table - there was no food on it at the time. She seems friendly and is usually meows at me. I haven't stroked it or encouraged it to come back and don't want to have to close door when DS is playing in garden. She is often sitting on window sill and trying to jump in open windows. If anyone knows of anything I can do to discourage this behaviour it would be greatly appreciated. She has no collar on but looks well looked after.

TheDinnerWitch Tue 13-Sep-11 05:19:24

Is there any particular reason why you want to discourage the cat? Do you not like them?

I don't really want any strange animals on my kitchen table. Mainly because DS1 is a bit scared off them and DS2 would probably try to jump on its back grin

GrimmaTheNome Tue 13-Sep-11 17:25:59

I'd recommend a water pistol - or just chuck a bit of water at it. Won't hurt the cat but should give it the message that its not welcome.

HeavensNetIsWide Tue 13-Sep-11 21:44:17

Some people recommend citrus juice or rind, or pepper, but it often doesn't work. I'm afraid in my experience of cats, once it's made up it's mind there is no persuading otherwise, in which case shutting the door will be the only option!

Water may work, but you'll have to be pretty persistent!

Hassled Tue 13-Sep-11 21:45:52

I think water will work - cats hate it. Just squirt when you see him/her; it will get the "I'm not wanted round these parts" message soon enough.

oopslateagain Tue 13-Sep-11 22:07:20

If there's only one way 'in' to your house - i.e. a back door that's often open - you might want to buy one of these. We have one on our front doorstep to stop the cats crapping in our gravel drive. It works.

GrimmaTheNome Wed 14-Sep-11 09:50:47

I've not seen the neighbours' cat lurking under our birdtable since I got in a good shot with a supersoaker. Mind you, I had backup from our dog chasing her out barking wildly (he's usually a bit scared of cats!). Maybe if the water doesn't work you could borrow a dog...

Thanks, will give the water a go, won't squirt it at cat just next to it hopefully that will work.

Grimma we never had any cats near house when we had our dog but since he died they are everywhere!

Oops think I might buy one of those for the garden to see if it stops the pooing, can't let DS out to crawl about because of it.

HazeltheMcWitch Wed 14-Sep-11 10:42:45

(caveat - I love, and have cats).

Deffo the water pistol. If you're indoors, nota super-soaker, just an old-fashioned one. Or even water, flicked at the cat. It honestly wont hurt it - unless you blast the super-soaker at close range.

Also suggets you do this while hissing. Ideally clapping as well but you wont have enough hands. You basically need to be less friendly, and act like a mean old cat. A really loud, strong, hiss (eg "pppppsssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh") while said lurching towards the cat will see it off like a shot. And again will do it no harm at all.

And don't stroke it, not in your house, not in your garden, nor in the street, so as to not give out any mixed messages.

Hazel I live in a goldfish bowl cul-de-sac and am sure my neighbours would finally think I had lost it if they seen me as you describe above grin

I haven't stroked it but do feel sorry for it, am quite perplexed as to why it has chosen me it does seem to be looking for my affection. I had a border collie in my front garden last week for 3 hours before I eventually borrowed a lead and took it home - perhaps the animals think I am some kind of Dr Dolittle? It is all very odd!

Maybe I am over thinking this.

HazeltheMcWitch Wed 14-Sep-11 11:30:31

Would they, tootired? Shit. As that seems to be my default behaviour (in similar cul-de-sac). Happily, it is usually accessorised by a scraggy old dressing gown and messy hair. Nice. Stlll, no one - no human anyway - messes with me!

Are you a Dr Doolittle too? I am. My best 'follow' was a mahoosive shire horse!

I can't top the horse am afraid - will try my best though as I pass two everyday on way to nursery grin

I am also frequently seen in dressing gown with messy hair, and on the odd occassion just my nightie - if I'm feeling brave. My poor neighbours!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now