Talk

Advanced search

Cat wee smell in kitchen

(9 Posts)
boocha Fri 09-Sep-11 22:04:17

Our 6 year old female cat never ever wees in the house but tonight there is a really strong smell in the kitchen of it,
We have looked absolutely every where but cannot find evidence of it anywhere, IT STINKS!
She is neutered, is it possible she might have sprayed? and if so why can't I find anything?

Grumpla Fri 09-Sep-11 22:07:48

Yup. Crawl around sniffing sliding boards / pedestals / chair legs. My cat tends to spray doorjambs and chair legs when stressed.

You need to use a proper pee-remover to completely remove the smell or she will return and spray / pee in the same place.

No chance another cat has snuck in and either sprayed or freaked your cat out so she needs to defend her patch?

boocha Fri 09-Sep-11 22:14:21

Thanks for that, Il go round on my hands and knees and investigate again(oh how my Friday nights have changed) the conservatory door was open til late, I commented to my husband that I'd forgot to shut it, I wonder if another cat has been in?
Can you recommend a pee-remover?

BerryLellow Fri 09-Sep-11 22:15:30

You haven't got a fresh basil plant anywhere have you? Only as I spent ages looking for the source of cat wee once and that turned out to be it

Grumpla Fri 09-Sep-11 22:18:21

Hmmm... If you've never had the problem before that might well be it!

Pets at Home do an own-brand one that is okay, but tbh anything will do as long as it is definitely a urine smell remover rather than simply perfumed carpet cleaner!

If you locate the spot before you manage to buy some then bicarb of soda will help absorb smell a bit, and some foil / orange peel will keep cat off for now.

Grumpla Fri 09-Sep-11 22:20:56

The conservatory door I mean, not the basil!

Having said that, are you pregnant? When I was first pg my sense of smell went haywire and I kept smelling all sorts of weird things (pee, nail varnish etc) where there was none.

boocha Fri 09-Sep-11 22:35:23

Haha no I'm not pregnant and the rest of the family can smell it too, I've not got any plants berry so it's not that, thanks though.
We definitely can't find anything dh is out there now mopping,(every cloud has a silver lining!) I'll go to pets at home .

Pavlovthecat Sat 10-Sep-11 19:00:42

Biologial soap powder removes all traces of the smell, stops them smelling it and going back in the same place. Lemon based stuff will help reduce risk or returning to wee there again/cuts through the smell.

Do not use bleach, it contains ammonia which cat pee has in it. Your cat is likely to think another cat has been in, and pee there to mark territory.

I think the smell of a cat spraying their territory is normally much more musky that the sweet pungent smell of normal cat pee, but i could easily be wrong.

I am posting this while attempting to figure out why my cats are currently pooing and weeing in the house too...

SherlockHolmes Sat 10-Sep-11 19:02:33

Do you have a vent to the outside? We spent ages trying to find out where a cat wee smell was coming from, and it turned out to be from outside, but coming through the vent for extractor fan. Just a thought.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now