Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Kitten chewing his tail

(4 Posts)
GoinCourtin Fri 09-Sep-11 13:46:47

We have a 4 month old kitten, who has the oddest habit of chewing and sucking his tail. He does it a lot (including on my knee!) and his tail is soaking wet all of the time.

Long term I dont think it'll do his tail any good to be chewed all of the time, but I dont know whether to just leave him to it and hope that he will stop of his own accord when he starts going out next month (when he has been neutured and chipped). Has anyone come across this before?

NorksAreMessy Fri 09-Sep-11 18:37:48

Dotty Mitten the Spotty kitten used to do this too. in fact she licked her tail so much it actually changed colour!
Apparently it is like having a dummy and gives them comfort. She was a wanderer and bossy boots, and them came home to an evening of tail grooming.

odd things, animals smile

GoinCourtin Sat 10-Sep-11 11:53:35

They are odd. I've had cats before and I've never known one to use his tail as a dummy (its exactly like that).

Its looks even odder as he is a huge tom cat, at 4 months he is just about as big as our previous male cat. He wanders round the house acting tough, then curls up on my knee sucking his tail like a baby grin

sistersootica Wed 14-Sep-11 10:18:19

My Mum's kitten sucked his tail until he was about a year old. He wasn't taken away from his Mum too soon, or anything like that, and he just grew out of it eventually. Quite cute though grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now