Talk

Advanced search

How much does your cat weigh?

(44 Posts)
ColdSancerre Thu 08-Sep-11 22:52:11

I just weighed porker cat and he was 6.65kg. He's just a standard sized moggie and he is now on a stricter diet than before. He's only 3 and I feel guilty about his size.

No. 1 cat weighs 6.4kg but is much larger and lithe and sleek and a healthy weight for his size. He's 7.

My parents cat is tiny and dainty in comparison (3kg) but I always seem to end up with hulking brutes.

lubeybooby Thu 08-Sep-11 22:53:34

Not sure what they are in kg but my three are 8lb 9lb and 9.5lb

lubeybooby Thu 08-Sep-11 22:55:29

ah, just done online conversion - so between 3.6 and 4.4 kg

ColdSancerre Thu 08-Sep-11 22:58:04

2.2lbs in a kg so 3.6, 4.1 and 4.3. Mine in lbs are 14.5 and 14.

ColdSancerre Thu 08-Sep-11 22:58:29

Oops xposted!

MitchiestInge Thu 08-Sep-11 23:01:22

I have a 6kg cat (he has a large frame though, honest) and a 4.5 kg and another is 3.75 and the babies are just over 3kg

not sure I really need all those cats but that is what they weigh anyway

lubeybooby Thu 08-Sep-11 23:02:55

Mine are all female, are yours toms? I think they tend to be bigger. We have a ginger tom that visits our garden and he is much taller and meatier than my lot. Easily 14lb if not more!

ColdSancerre Thu 08-Sep-11 23:05:45

Mine are neutered toms and my parents cat is a female. Fatty is currently rubbing his head across my feet and crying at me for food. He only ever runs when he hears you open the fridge door.

ColdSancerre Thu 08-Sep-11 23:09:17

How old are the babies Mitchiest?

MitchiestInge Thu 08-Sep-11 23:12:04

about nine months, maybe ten, so young adults really I suppose?

MadamDeathstare Thu 08-Sep-11 23:16:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lubeybooby Thu 08-Sep-11 23:17:56

Mine are spayed females, the oldest is the heaviest (age 6) and the youngest is the 8lb one and she is 2.

I leave them go cat biscuits out and refill as needed, and feed them tuna or chicken whenever they all manage to congregate in the kitchen at once and meow at me, probably a few times a week. One is obsessed with food and would eat non stop given tuna or wet cat food on tap, but she restrains herself with the dry food somewhat. She does beg a lot but I don't give in much.

SecretNutellaFix Thu 08-Sep-11 23:22:08

I just weighed my boycat and he came in at 11.5lb. I don't understand it- he is huge! When he stretches down my legs he stretches from my hip to my toes! He is a muscular furball as well, so I thought he would be much heavier! He wobbles when he walks.

I am not even attempting to weigh his sister- I would end up being stitched back together after her claws got through me. She weighs almost nothing.

MadamDeathstare Thu 08-Sep-11 23:30:47

ColdSancerre Thu 08-Sep-11 23:41:38

From now on no more ham, no more prawns and no more treats. They have light biscuits and that's all Fatty is getting, he has had his DO NOT FEED collar put back on to stop him scrounging off neighbours. And I'm buying him a treadmill.

MadamDeathstare Fri 09-Sep-11 00:04:08

ColdSancerre Fri 09-Sep-11 13:25:59

oh that is just too funny grin

DontCallMeBaby Fri 09-Sep-11 17:01:06

Saus is 5kg (has been on antibiotics lately so was weighted at the vet for that) and Pix is probably about 4.5kg. Both neutered toms, and look in good nick to me. Pix seemed thin at one point but the vet said we get so used to seeing overweight cats that a slim one seems overly thin. They're actually very close in size but Saus has always been heavier, he's pure muscle and was even as an 8wo kitten. They eat Hills on tap, and occasional treats - Saus won't eat wet food, while Pix has just had a pouch as a treat and has conscientiously sucked all the gravy off it.

LadyWellian Fri 09-Sep-11 17:07:14

My cat is about 6kg. He is a big boy but the vet said he is not overweight.

LadyWellian Fri 09-Sep-11 17:09:12

I do call him 'Fatboy' but it's a term of endearment grin

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 09-Sep-11 18:11:25

5.7kg but hes a bengal and is very slim, trots everywhere rather than walk and is very strong. Pure muscle.

The vets dont comment on his weight anymore because I am not dieting a slim cat anymore than I would go on a diet (size 8).

GRW Fri 09-Sep-11 18:17:20

My parents have an 8kg neutered tom, and every time he goes to the vet they are told he is too heavy. He is 10 and only eats diet Hill's science diet, but plenty of it!
My two are big cats too- 5.5kg and 5kg.

beautifulgirls Fri 09-Sep-11 19:49:25

For those of you trying to diet your cats a few tips
1) Weigh the food out, don't use "visual scoops" to measure as there can be quite a high % variation in calorie count from a few extra biscuits.
2) Split the daily amount into 2 or 3 meals.
3) Allow only limited time access to these meals (15-20mins max) and remove any uneaten food at the end of that time. Do not offer that food with the next portion, if uneaten it stays that way.
4) Try to make your cat do a little exercise. Play with them if you can get them interested so they move about it after feather sticks or the like. At worst pick them up from their favoured place of sleeping and remove to the furthest point away in the house you can get them and leave them to walk back - or take up the garden so they have to walk into the house again to go back to sleep!
5) Review their weight every 4-6 weeks and if no loss cut the daily allowance a bit. Many vet clinics will be happy to weigh for you and give advice about feeding levels. Low calorie foods can be helpful but cats can be dieted with careful control over what is offered in the first place without necessarily needing to use these diets.

tabulahrasa Fri 09-Sep-11 19:55:32

shock I have tiny cats...

The biggest one is just under 3 kg, she's a 7 yr old spayed Siamese, the other one's not a Siamese, she's spayed and 1 - she hadn't been weighed since she was spayed about 6 months ago, but she's littler than the other one still and feels lighter.

wufti Tue 13-Sep-11 12:39:04

I have two larger boys, now aged 12. One weights 6.4kg - and looks a bit overweight as he has a flappy undercarriage, ifykwim; the other is 5.7kg but used to weight 6.2 kg. Both have been limited on their food for the last couple of years as they tend to be a bit greedy. Fatboy did loose over a kg at one point when he was diagnosed with early signs of renal failure and looked decidedly scraggy but seems to have made a good recovery on his special diet!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now