Talk

Advanced search

I have bought a kitten wormer but people tell me its no good.

(4 Posts)
OnEdge Wed 07-Sep-11 00:15:31

I bought the syrup by johnson and two people have told me its a waste of time. How can it be sold if this is the case ? Which kitten wormers are effective ?

DoesItWearingWellies Wed 07-Sep-11 02:46:48

Usually, if it can be sold over the counter then it won't be effective, as the nasty chemicals that really do the job you need a prescription for (same goes for flea and mite treatments).

These things can often still be sold as the active ingredient will kill worms in laboratory tests, but not necessarily in real-life situations due to dosing etc.

IIRC, Panacur paste is a pretty effective wormer for kittens. Best thing to do is ring some vets and ask what they would recommend.

Lizcat Wed 07-Sep-11 12:11:04

As previously said anything sold over the counter are very very very old drugs so are much less effective. Also they are often paralyse and purge so you get diarrhoea.
There are several excellent new wormers on the market for kittens that are avaliable from the vets, many of whom offer a free kitten/ wormer check. In fact my surgery will check your kitten for free and give you the first two doses of wormer for free too - we are very nice grin.

OnEdge Wed 07-Sep-11 18:41:53

Oh right, thanks a lot, I never knew all this, they shouldn't sell it angry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now