Talk

Advanced search

Please help! Just taken my cat to the vets for a check and i can't afford the bill.

(20 Posts)
neverontime Tue 30-Aug-11 17:12:19

I got a cat yesterday, a 7 year old persian cross. The lady who had him before us is moving house and can't take him with her.
So, today i took him in for his vaccinations and a check up and they've noticed he has gingivitis and its pretty bad. They've told me because its a pre existing condition it wont be covered on my insurance and it is likely to cost £350 to treat.
I really can't afford that much money. But he is such a lovely cat, me and my children adore him already.
Has anyone got any advice on how i can deal with this.
I tried to contact the lady who gave him to us, but she's not answering her phone.
sad

CoffeeIsMyFriend Tue 30-Aug-11 17:13:24

£350 no way. That is ridiculous.

SockMunkee Tue 30-Aug-11 17:16:45

Call round the vets in your area, prices can be very different in different surgeries. I wanted my house rabbit spayed and was quoted everything from £95 to £55!!
If you are on benefits you can register with blue cross, you get help with vet bills, or do you have an rspca clinic near you?

neverontime Tue 30-Aug-11 17:17:10

It covers putting him under anaesthetic and checking to extent of the damage and possible extraction. The vet thinks 3 of his teeth need to come out.

neverontime Tue 30-Aug-11 17:21:36

thanks sock, i'll definately register with blue cross.

neverontime Tue 30-Aug-11 17:26:45

unfortunately i don't live in the blue cross area, i'm in Lancashire.

ripstheirthroatoutliveupstairs Tue 30-Aug-11 17:30:22

RSPCA? PDSA? I am in a similar position. My 20 week old kittens were doctored last week.
About an hour ago I saw some red on the floor in the kitchen and then saw bloody jelly like substance around the anus of one boy sad.
I know I have to take him to the vet, but know it will cost many ££££s.
Do you think the woman you got the cat from knew about the teeth issue?

mymumdom Tue 30-Aug-11 17:35:17

Talk to your vet about it. Explain the situation and ask if they offer a payment plan. A lot of insurance won't cover dental work anyhow and persians often have awful teeth because they have squashed little faces and not enough room for their teeth sad
Ask you vet if you can wait a bit so you can raise some money if possible, it's not fair but the poor cat didn't get like that overnight. I wouldn't count on assistance from his previous owner.

neverontime Tue 30-Aug-11 17:36:32

rips Thats what i asked her in my text message, but she hasnt replied. I really hope not because i could tell she really loved him. But you never know.....

So sorry to hear about your kittens sad

MollieO Tue 30-Aug-11 17:39:30

I think it is very odd that you've had to take the cat to be vaccinated etc. Surely the previous owner should have given you the cat's vaccination form and confirmed that it was up to date. Sounds to me as if you've been had. I would be amazed if she didn't realise there was a problem. Dental problems are the biggest killer of cats (according to my vet) and most insurance polices won't cover teeth problems. I would be very angry with the previous owner and expect a contribution to the bill.

stinkyfluffycat Wed 31-Aug-11 17:08:53

I would try and get a quote from another vet just to check that really is how much it costs, but surely your vet will let you pay in installments? Maybe offer to give them your card details and tell them they can put X amount on the card each month, or post - dated cheques?
I might be wrong but I like to think that a vet would accept staggered payments rather than let an animal suffer because the owner didn't have all the money up front?

neverontime Thu 01-Sep-11 12:33:38

I dont have the cat anymore.
He bit my daughter yesterday, completely unprovoked so i had to give him back to his previous owner.
Me and my DCs were really upset to see him go, but i couldnt risk him doing it again.
Thank you everyone for your help.

ripstheirthroatoutliveupstairs Thu 01-Sep-11 12:39:03

So the previous owner was prepared to take him back despite the manky teeth.
How curious and how sad that he made one small mistake and was returned.
If you do get another cat, try to make sure it is in good health and, if you can afford it, get some pet insurance.

neverontime Thu 01-Sep-11 12:42:08

Personally i dont think it was a small mistake. Not many people i know would've kept an animal if it bit someone.

MmeLindor. Thu 01-Sep-11 12:46:57

I don't know but I think that a cat biting is not a big thing. Perhaps it felt a bit threatened? It is certainly different to a dog biting.

How old are your children? Perhaps they are just too young for pets.

neverontime Thu 01-Sep-11 12:51:41

I think you may have a point about them being too young for a pet, they are 3 and 4.

MmeLindor. Thu 01-Sep-11 13:03:00

Yes, perhaps a difficult age, particularly for a cat. They are such independent creatures and do not take well to being stroked and petted unless they want to be.

If you do think about a pet again, it might be better to go through a rescue centre where they will check the pet's health and advise you on the right pet for you.

When the children are older and more able to leave the pet alone.

JennaTailor Thu 01-Sep-11 17:51:19

My cats bites the kids all the time - they have learnt to read his signals !!! Some cats do bite !

tabulahrasa Thu 01-Sep-11 21:59:17

One of mine bites someone about three times a day - she's a cat hmm

SparklyCloud Tue 06-Sep-11 02:13:02

OP You have really annoyed me. You obviously dont have a clue about cats behaviour. Both you and this poor cats owner have badly let him down. Did you not think he might need time to settle in to a new home with new people. Children he might not be used to? Missing his old territory and house and owner? Has it crossed your mind he probably has terrible toothache? If i had toothache, gingivitis and needed bad teeth out, i would want to kill someone, never mind bite them. One of my cats bit my face when i hugged him the day i brought him home. He has never done it in the years since. And if he gets annoyed he will bite your hand. I have learned to read him like a book and move my hand in time. Never would i have considered sending him back. I hope you dont get another pet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now