Talk

Advanced search

Should we get a cat

(8 Posts)
MsGee Sun 28-Aug-11 09:31:40

We are considering getting a Siberian kitten (I am allergic to most breeds, visiting breeder tmrw to check allergies). I am not a natural cat lover but figure I will love my own (similar to my approach to children).

DD loves neighbours cat and always trying to play with it, DH also v keen on idea of cat. She will be an only child and we like the idea of her having a pet as she is definitely feeling a bit lonesome at mo (she is 3.6).

Wider family are horrified - keep telling me it's for life and messy etc. I'm fine wth that - I have a child so ok with thought of feeding and litter tray (well DH can do that). I am worried about poo / scratched furniture all over house and haven't ever had a pet before so bit daunted by it.

But ... It just feels like there is space for a pet in our family so tempted to go with my gut instinct in that it will be a good thing!

MsGee Sun 28-Aug-11 09:32:27

Meant to add, I work from home so like te idea of company

maypole1 Mon 29-Aug-11 00:51:25

Cats are not messy, once you have a litter try they basically sort themselves out

The cats potter about the house doing their own thing they play with the kids now and again and wander off once their board sleeps with me and oh at night personally I think very much hassle

ripstheirthroatoutliveupstairs Mon 29-Aug-11 10:59:48

I would consider getting two if you can. We have two brothers and they really like each other and slink off when DD is getting a bit much.
Something to bear in mind is the cost of vaccinations and neutering. I've just paid £160 for both to be castrated and chipped.
They are also a bind if you go away. You either need to ask a kindly neighbour to feed them or put them in catteries.

MsGee Mon 29-Aug-11 21:44:08

Quick update - went to see a Siberian today and totally fell in love with it ... But I had such a strong allergic reaction we now are back to square one...

H007 Thu 08-Sep-11 09:21:50

MsGee my OH is generally allergic to cats but not my kitten for some reason it took a couple of weeks but he's absolutely fine around him. He also didn't use to have a reaction to the long haired cat only the short haired cat at my parents.

BonyM Fri 09-Sep-11 20:50:53

Have a look at Bengals. My dh was always allergic to cats but has had no reaction to our two. The brown spotted have very sleek coats and don't tend to shed much. They are also fantastic company - more dog-like than many cats, love to be in the centre of things, always very interested in what is going on and very playful. My two are also great with children, very gentle.

BonyM Fri 09-Sep-11 20:51:56

Oh, and I should have said, male cats tend to cause more of an allergic reaction than females. Not sure why, they just do!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now