Talk

Advanced search

Cat has started shitting on the carpet

(3 Posts)
DandyGilver Sat 27-Aug-11 20:38:19

Not to put too fine a point on it. 4 days out of 5 last week I found deposits, either in DS's bedroom or on the carpet in front of the TV.

Nothing has changed recently. No new litter, furniture, food, different people in the house, changes to our work routine. Nothing.

Why is he doing this all of a sudden and how can I stop him? He is 14 and I love him dearly but I can't start every day picking up catshit when he has a clean litter tray. He was at the vet 3 months ago for teeth cleaning and vaccinations and was pronounced to be in good health for his age.

Any ideas?

stinkyfluffycat Sat 27-Aug-11 20:50:44

No idea, but I'd prob take him to the vet, especially as he's older, at least if you get him checked out it puts your mind at rest..
Normally I'd think he was doing dirty protests, but if you say absolutely nothing's changed I've no idea.
I would clean the areas he's 'decorated' really thoroughly, to completely get rid of the smell, otherwise it's supposed to encourage repeat crapping (obviously you've already cleaned the turds up I know, but maybe use vinegar or something strong smelling to completely change the smell of the areas?).

No new cats moved in next door or anything? Try a Feliway diffuser? They're pretty expensive but worth it if it chills him out and stops him leaving gifts on the carpet..

SparklyCloud Sun 28-Aug-11 17:02:16

How many litter trays in house? He needs one up, and one down.
have you changed the litter?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now