Talk

Advanced search

Purevax with Feline leukemia vacc

(2 Posts)
Fluffycloudland77 Wed 24-Aug-11 16:38:33

My cat had his first two vaccinations, kitten jabs and booster with no problems, bit sleepy but ok.

A year later he had his next set of jabs but wouldnt/couldnt eat, drink, wash or get up the stairs.

Now I'm not in-experienced with cats, he is my 6th but I have never seen them do that before and we took him back and they said he had a temp so he had antibiotics.

Now its time for his yearly booster again and DH has said no jabs, they make him ill. I know he has to have them as he fights (a lot) and we live in the country near a farm with farm cats. Something tells me farm cats dont get jabs.

He has always had the feline leukemia vaccine for this reason.

Is this likely to happen again? I think I saw on bengal cat forum that the second set of jabs can make them ill but I have no idea why.

Any advice gratefully received, he's booked in for jabs on the 16th Sep and I have 4 days to stop up with him in the night like DH did last time in case he is ill.

Lizcat Wed 24-Aug-11 21:06:53

After all vaccinations cats, dogs, humans, cows etc 24 hours of flu like symptoms causing aches and pains with a temperature are normal it is the immune system having an appropriate response.
Purevax as a non-adjuvanted vaccine is the least bad of the cat vaccines for these side effects as adjuvants tend to make them much worse. Just because he had a reaction one year does not necessarily mean he will have a reaction the next year. Giving a non-steriodal anti-inflammatory injection at the same time as the vaccine can help reduce the side effects.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now