Talk

Advanced search

How do I stop my cat from spraying?

(7 Posts)
carpwidow Mon 22-Aug-11 22:12:07

Female cat - 5 years old. Spraying all over the place indoors. Any tips?

Marne Mon 22-Aug-11 22:16:32

Is she spayed?

carpwidow Mon 22-Aug-11 22:30:09

Hi Marne - yes she is. Got a new kitten (5 months ago) and she hates him. He is going to be castrated in the next few months, so that may be upsetting her. She hated him from the outset, but the spraying has only just started.

Marne Tue 23-Aug-11 16:15:12

Sounds like the kitten is the cause sad, fingers crossed getting the kitten castrated will help. One of my mums cats (male) started spraying when she moved house, i guess a change in routine could cause it? Are they house cats or do they go out?

carpwidow Tue 23-Aug-11 16:39:39

The little one is in quite a bit, but she is out lots (thank goodness) smile It's ok if I can catch her spraying as I can clear it up straight away, but it's when I don't know where she's done it. Yuk! sad

Marne Tue 23-Aug-11 21:05:20

Yep, i hate it when they spray and you cant find it, luckily our doesn't spray but at the moment he's our only cat. Sounds like you older cat is feeling a bit insecure having a male around the house sad, hopfully once his manhood is gone things will calm down.

RedwingWinter Tue 23-Aug-11 21:27:06

It does sound like the kitten is the cause, but I wonder why the spraying has only just started now. Has their relationship changed for the worse, or has something else changed recently?

Is there anything you can do to make the older cat happier? for example does she have places to go where she can retreat if the kitten is bothering her. You could try getting an extra litter tray and putting it somewhere quiet in the house where she will feel safe using it. Also making sure that you are still giving her fuss and attention may help, as kew kittens are very time-consuming and she may be feeling left out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now