Talk

Advanced search

Knotted Fur

(6 Posts)
buggerlugs82 Thu 18-Aug-11 18:38:12

Hello. My long haired male cat seems to have put on a bit of weight lately, we recently moved house (Jan) and i suspect the little old dears near us are feeding him.

Anyway he has knotted fur on his lower tummy, I think im going to have to shave him as its quite bad. I think its a bit sore too as he growls and tries to bite / fight me when i try to touch it.

Has anyone got any tips for how i can deal with the knots or shave him without losing my arm?

Please avoid bald pussy jokes where possible although i expect a few of these smile

Gay40 Thu 18-Aug-11 18:55:37

I've got this problem with my old cat, it does hurt them when you try and sort it. The vet has to lightly sedate her and shave her. Sorry this is absolutely no help to you, but cats are too wriggly to go near with scissors or shears.

buggerlugs82 Thu 18-Aug-11 19:04:41

Can i ask how much it costs to get her shaved? He gets car sick just looking at the travel box and would be REALLY stressed being sedated. He's all bark you see and quite soft, well sometimes smile

I might crack open some tuna as bribary.

storytopper Thu 18-Aug-11 19:08:05

When we had an old long-haired tomcat who was overweight we occasionally had the same problem. I managed to cut some of the knots out carefully with scissors but it was a two-person job - my husband held him.

If he is overweight he probably has difficulty curling round to groom certain parts.

If I were you I would have a polite word with the people you think may be feeding him. I have a real thing about strangers feeding pets "on the sly". If they know he is yours and he is well cared for, they shouldn't be feeding him.

Gay40 Thu 18-Aug-11 19:11:13

They just did it as part of a normal consultation, so about £21 a go but it is only occasionally. We brush her in between times to prevent it, but her health condition makes it go worse quickly sometimes (iykwim). She hates the vet too.

buggerlugs82 Fri 19-Aug-11 20:04:33

Thanks everyone. We've managed to shave him without too much injury. He bit me pretty hard but i suppose i deserved it!

I think i'll have a chat with my neighbours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now