Talk

Advanced search

Please spare a quick thought for my cat today - being put to sleep

(21 Posts)
Threaders Tue 16-Aug-11 08:17:03

Poor Tom, we took him in as a stray about 6 years ago. He's a beautiful ginger and white cat, a real brute - stocky and doesn't stand for any messing around! Hated having his paws touched. But for all the hard-cat exterior, he loved to sit on our knee and be stroked and fussed.

He's lost so much weight in the past few months, started slowing down, sleeping all the time. It was found that he had an over-active thyroid, tablets would keep it under control but there was no cure except to operate, but he was too old and his heart too weak to survive an operation (he's nearly 13).

So yesterday we took him to the vets again as he just will not eat his tablets, there was nothing we could do to get him to eat them. He had fluid build up around his internal organs. The only fair thing for us to do now is to have him peacefully put to sleep before the fluid drowns his lungs.

He will be sorely sorely missed, by both me and DP, our DD and even the dog. Hope you pass peacefully mate, I love you x

kittensliveupstairs Tue 16-Aug-11 08:19:11

That's sad, but at least you had some time together.

ClaireDeLoon Tue 16-Aug-11 08:19:30

Oh Threaders poor you, big hugs.

I had my old ginger boy pts last November when like your cat he just couldn't go on and it was heartbreaking.

Will be thinking of you today.

ObviouslyOblivious Tue 16-Aug-11 08:51:53

Poor Tom sad thinking of you

CandiceMariePratt Tue 16-Aug-11 09:03:29

That's so sad. Thinking of you x x

Maiavan Tue 16-Aug-11 09:06:06

Thinking of you sad

Threaders Tue 16-Aug-11 10:22:35

Thank you all

mycatsaysach Tue 16-Aug-11 10:24:34

another big hug x

girlywhirly Tue 16-Aug-11 16:07:03

Very sorry for you. Have been there myself and know how hard it is.

TarquinGyrfalcon Tue 16-Aug-11 16:35:42

Thinking of you

EightiesChick Tue 16-Aug-11 16:37:35

Had to do the same with my elderly cat just last month. Heartbreaking but you have to do it for him. Thinking of you all.

TheOriginalFAB Tue 16-Aug-11 16:40:42

RIP Tom.

So sorry for you sad.

Ormirian Tue 16-Aug-11 16:45:51

So sorry sad

ExitPursuedByATroll Tue 16-Aug-11 16:47:49

So sad. Been there, done it, got the t-shirt, and it still hurts like hell.

ClaireDeLoon Tue 16-Aug-11 22:04:39

How are you Threaders?

Threaders Wed 17-Aug-11 08:14:12

Thank you for all your thoughts.

Tom went peacefully at about 12:30 yesterday afternoon. He was always a strong cat and although he passed away quickly and comfortably, his little heart took some stopping and the vet had to give him a dose "big enough for a large dog" which really made me smile - strong till the end.

We knew it was his time, I think you can tell by the look in their eyes when they've had enough and just want you to help them along. We took him home with us and he is now buried in the garden with some nice flowers.

I find myself really taken aback at how sad I am for his loss, I think because he went downhill so quickly after a lifetime of being such a big strong boy. He was famous on our street - everyone knew who he was as he invited himself into many homes! Even non-cat lovers took to him as he had such a cheeky personality. But I'm glad we could help him when he needed it most, and even more glad that we were there with him stroking and fussing him as he went to sleep.

For a 6ft+, 16st man I'm not ashamed to say I've shed many tears over the past 24 hours and I've no doubt there'll be a few more but I'm sure all cat lovers will understand that. Our dog appeared to understand what was going on and he has been very calm and loving around us all since we brought Tom home with us - animals never ever cease to amaze me at how they have this instinct.

Sorry for babbling on, maybe it's melodramatic of me but he was a fabulous fabulous cat and he'll always be loved.

TarquinGyrfalcon Wed 17-Aug-11 08:27:11

Threaders, that post was a lovely tribute to Tom. He sounds fabulous. Some cats just have that extra something thaat makes them superstars and he was obviously one of them.
We had a tiny scrap of a cat with the biggest personality and 2 yrs after we had her pts we still miss her (although we have other much loved pets)

Marlinspike Wed 17-Aug-11 08:35:21

So sorry Threaders, we lost our cat earlier this year and I know how upsetting it is. Tom sounds like a lovely, cuddly old bruiser, and your home will seem very quiet without him.

I found a lovely photo of my cat (in her younger days when she wasn't quite so scraggy - she was 22 when she died!) and had it enlarged. It now sits above my desk and she stares imploringly at me when I mumsnet work - a little like she did when she was alive!

ExitPursuedByATroll Wed 17-Aug-11 10:44:31

Glad to hear he went peacefully Threaders. I cried for days over my cat. I still dream about her now.

storytopper Wed 17-Aug-11 23:04:24

Sorry to hear about your cat, Threaders. We lost our big tomcat a few years ago - very ill and peacefully put to sleep like your old chap. It's a difficult decision, but as you say, you know when it's time and it is the last kind thing you can do for your pet.

Glad you gave him a fitting resting place in the garden.

4c4good Thu 18-Aug-11 19:43:54

So very, very sorry. Tom sounds lovely, and so do you.

Some cats do have that extra special something don't they. My beloved Bertie was a similar character - invited himself all over teh place, even joined lessons at the local primary school. I still well up and he died in 1997.

He was run over and killed - I was away at the time but I just knew - it was quite bizarre - and came home to search for his body sad I too was taken aback by the strength of the reaction. You are grieving, and that is absolutely normal - so take care of yourself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now