Talk

Advanced search

Puking cat

(5 Posts)
Bearcat Mon 15-Aug-11 21:23:23

I have got an 8 yr old british shorthair.
He has always thrown up occasionally, but a couple of years ago it became more regular and to be honest he's wrecking my carpets, bless him, as its so hard to get the stain out even if I get to it straight away.
Anyway the vet thinks he's probably got IBD and he has had about 3 or 4 steroid injections over this time which sorts it out for a few months.
Anyway, took him to the vets last Thursday and saw a young locum vet (usual guy on holday I think) who gave him an injection of some white stuff in his neck.
My cat has now been sick in the house on Saturday, Sunday and today, Monday.
This is very unusual as the steroid injection usually stops the puking in its tracks for weeks.
Are there any vets on here? Was the white stuff a steroid injection?
I suppose I will need to take him back, and he may have to be investigated further.
The poor boy is terrified of the vet and goes into a severe decline on the premises.
Have got pet insurance which I've never used for last 8yrs!

spanky2 Tue 30-Aug-11 16:43:15

I had a cat who puked alot. She would alway be sick then run away disgusted with herself, then finish off being sick somewhere new! There is a Royal Canin food for cats which is meant to be very good, she died of kidney failure before we had heard of it. Not connected to the puking. The vet said some cats have sensitive stomachs. My 1 year old cat gave himself an upset tummy from drinking out of the toilet. I'm guessing as I could see mud around the toilet bowl! I would ring the vet as they will have a record of your cat's treatment to find out what was injected. What about feeding him really bland food like white fish in small portions? See what the vet recommends on the phone?

spanky2 Tue 30-Aug-11 16:43:57

Sorry, I meant to say cats with sensitive tummies

hiddenhome Tue 30-Aug-11 20:32:02

My oldest cat took to puking all the time, then one day she had a massive puke and brought up two fairly large furballs. No further puking.

Could you possibly try some furball treatment for him to see if it's that?

Bearcat Sun 04-Sep-11 15:19:07

Thanks for replying.
He seems to have sorted himself out now from his 3rd throwing up and has not been sick again since then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now