Talk

Advanced search

why do my cats lick me?

(27 Posts)
mckenzie Thu 11-Aug-11 14:30:56

Does it mean they are lacking in something in their diet perhaps? Or are they just being kind and keeping me clean? grin

AMumInScotland Thu 11-Aug-11 15:04:24

They are cleaning you - in their eyes you are a large kitten - after all, you're not very good at behaving like a cat yet, are you? They are also likely to bring you live mice and birds to practice on, because your hunting skills are honestly not up to standard yet. grin

tabulahrasa Thu 11-Aug-11 15:07:33

they're cleaning the site of where they're going to make the first bite :|

NevermindtheNargles Thu 11-Aug-11 15:15:32

AMumInScotland

your hunting skills are honestly not up to standard yet.

I actually think my cats bring me live animals because they are impressed by my inventive use of tupperware in mice/bird catching and wish to learn. I can't believe you'd suggest they think it's rubbish.

NevermindtheNargles Thu 11-Aug-11 15:15:32

AMumInScotland

your hunting skills are honestly not up to standard yet.

I actually think my cats bring me live animals because they are impressed by my inventive use of tupperware in mice/bird catching and wish to learn. I can't believe you'd suggest they think it's rubbish.

AMumInScotland Thu 11-Aug-11 15:19:25

Ah perhaps yours are awaiting a demonstration then!

Ormirian Thu 11-Aug-11 15:28:44

Because you taste of cheese.

Actually no, they lick you because they are softening you up with little rough sandpaper tongues so they can eat you!

grin

pointydog Thu 11-Aug-11 15:30:28

Sometimes to get salty crisp flavouring off your fingers perhaps.

SaulGood Thu 11-Aug-11 15:32:39

My cats lick people who have been sweating. It's the salt. grin

DrSeuss Thu 11-Aug-11 15:51:59

Was told by a vet it's a submissive gesture, please. I'm a good kitty, be nice to me. Either that or you taste of Cheddar!

RockinSockBunnies Thu 11-Aug-11 15:54:04

Cats love the taste of earwax. So if, by any chance, you've been itching your ear, then most cats will come and lick your finger, purring delightedly as they do so.

mckenzie Thu 11-Aug-11 17:22:36

I'm not sure any of the answers sound very nice grin.
I think I'll go for DrSuess's reply. They are lovely cats after all (sort of anyway, they are RSPCA rescue cats and they have their moments) and I'm a lovely owner (most of the time anyway) smile

iklboo Thu 11-Aug-11 17:32:04

One of my cats tries to groom my hair. I take it as a hint to phone the hairdresser!

ClaireDeLoon Thu 11-Aug-11 17:34:21

My cat likes to lick just used emery boards to get the ground up fingernails off.

peeriebear Thu 11-Aug-11 17:37:10

My old cat used to lick my face all over, and tried to lick my eyes when I was wearing mascara (I screamed at this point). He was more like a puppy. My new cat never licks me at all, probably because she is not submissive in any way! Last night she came in at about half eleven, from the dark and rain, with a still- warm dead sparrow. Where does she find them?!

iklboo Thu 11-Aug-11 18:01:42

I can blow raspberries (parp) on smallest cat's tummy. I still have both eyes!!

purpleknittingmum Thu 11-Aug-11 18:09:00

We love it when our cat licks/kisses us! He never used to kiss faces but does very occasionally

He can also be very selective, sometimes he will kiss one persons arm, and then someone else will offer their arm and he will turn his head! So funny!

mckenzie Fri 12-Aug-11 07:58:32

thanks for the replies. Our old cat used to lick any pot that had olives in. These daft cats, both of them, lick my skin instead, but only mine In fact the big fella is lying on the desk as i type trying to push my sleeve out of the way so he can get to me smile. They are such great characters aren't they? Bless 'em.

MumToTheBoy Fri 12-Aug-11 08:02:43

Both of our kittens/ cats lick. One even pins you down so he can lick you! My ds calls him 'the licker' and roars with laughter when it's his turn to be licked

biddyofsuburbia Fri 12-Aug-11 08:04:29

For the salt? Bit gross but possible!? Less terrifying than if you think they may be tenderizing you for a quick snack! Mine rarely lick and I find it really odd so I don't encourage - I would prefer an out and out play bite! I definitely won't be trying the earwax thing smile

mckenzie Fri 12-Aug-11 10:07:37

I certainly don't encourage it but they seem to really enjoy it so as long as it's not damaging my clothes and I know I can go and have a good wash afterwards, then i do let them.

biddyofsuburbia Fri 12-Aug-11 11:55:00

Oh, not saying there's anything wrong with it mckenzie just that for me gives me a weird jangly feeling (like biting a fork or nails on a blackboard) so I don't like it!! I think it's lovely they are affectionate! My two would rather do that thing where they 'knead' your leg/stomach with their paws with a bit of claw action thrown in, it's like they go into a trance and start dribbling if you let them do it long enough. Not sure I want to know what that is all about!

blacktreaclecat Sat 13-Aug-11 08:47:10

I just tried the earwax thing ( in the interest of science)- Toffee loved it!
He is a licker anyway. He and Treacle cuddle up together and groom each other, so when he licks me I always thought it was affection.

mckenzie Sat 13-Aug-11 09:18:25

my female does that too bibby and the number of times I've had to go and get changed because she's dribbled on me so much is silly. But i do love her so and she is old so she won't be doing it for much longer.

iklboo Sat 13-Aug-11 09:28:02

Bibby cats do this as they used to knead their mothers when they were feeding to stimulate milk flow. My smallest cat kneads my boobs when he comes for a cuddle. I know what you mean about going into a trance!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now