Talk

Advanced search

Will my 2 yr old cats learn how to use a catflap??

(12 Posts)
biddyofsuburbia Wed 10-Aug-11 20:33:32

I have just had one put in this morning and they seem to be OK with leaving the house through it but don't seem to 'get' how to get back in. I've done this so that I don't have to keep letting them in / out and also so we can go out for the day without worrying about them but one is still sitting at the door where he can see us (not the catflap door) waiting to be let in. Do I leave him out until he works out he has to use the catflap if he wants to get fed??

AMumInScotland Wed 10-Aug-11 20:46:23

Have you tried pushing the cat through it from the outside? (gently of course...) - they may be used to doors inside the house which only go one direction, and not immediately see that it can swing both ways.

BrianKnowsAll Wed 10-Aug-11 20:51:24

agree with AMuminScotland try gently posting them through from the outside, this worked with 1 of mine the other was a bit slower and i had to wedge a dishwasher tablet box under the flap so they could get in and out and eventually after a couple of days when you take the box away they kinda get that they can still go through!

MissBeehiving Wed 10-Aug-11 20:54:17

They usually get it after a few days.*

*Disclaimer: one of my cats has NEVER used the catdoor despite posting and bribery and intensive training involving sardines.

TarquinGyrfalcon Wed 10-Aug-11 21:06:34

We had to tie the catflap open for a few days before Cat1 got to grips with it.

Cat2 was tempted through by a small piece of paté for the first few occasions - he spent the next few weeks shooting through it like a bat out of hell while screaming for paté

biddyofsuburbia Wed 10-Aug-11 22:42:30

Thanks all smile I have tried 'posting' both of them quite a few times now. One did go through but the other started getting all hissy & spitty about it so I gave up.

Thought part of the problem might be that it is a lot higher up for them to reach from outside as you have to step up to come into the house anyway. I have now put a 'ramp' up so that they could, if they so desired, get in a bit more easily. As I said they've had no probs going out!

Am off to bed now so will see how much food is gone in the morning to try and see if they've been inside and then possibly try some of your other strategies in the morning! Will let you know how we get on! Hoping it rains or something so they get desperate!

simpson Thu 11-Aug-11 19:41:38

my wo cats did work it out after a couple of days.

One of them also did the sitting by the door thing....

However the problem I have now is stopping other cats coming in as well hmm

simpson Thu 11-Aug-11 19:41:49

two

MyCatHasStaff Thu 11-Aug-11 19:47:24

One of my cats taught a neighbours cat how to use the catflat but lining him up and then headbutting him through (maybe try that?). Only problem was, when he got the hang of it, he ran into every door he saw thinking he could get through. Moral of the story: you just can't help some cats grin

i've just had a Sureflap installed today which is a flap that only lets the cats in which have been scanned using their microchip, ie not any cats apart from mine!

They definitely haven't got the hang of it yet despite me stupidly swinging slices of ham through the flap at them. The "posting" inwards only works for one cat and not the other grin

biddyofsuburbia Thu 11-Aug-11 21:05:06

Ben10 & simpsonI've also got a sureflap with the microchip reader, which is great in theory but they still haven't got the hang of it - seems they would rather sit outside in the rain and starve! Lots of posting, fresh chicken treats, baby-talking & platform building to make it easier to get in from outside and they still refuse. We are going away overnight soon so they'd better get used to it or they are going to be very sorry for themselves!! I think our cats may be related to your neighbour's mycat grin

Am now worried they are actually too big for the flap - eek - going to google extra-large cat flap now (!)

Cat Flat Update grin

One of my cats has managed to figure out in and out this morning even with the flap closed. The other is asleep as her breakfast tired her out clearly!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now