Talk

Advanced search

Fur / Hair balls - Help please

(7 Posts)
buggerlugs82 Wed 10-Aug-11 18:41:48

My short haired cat is coughing / wheezing like she is trying to get something up. Could it be a simple hair ball or do i need to ring the vet?

She isnt retching but coughing with her mouth closed and crouching to the ground.

LittleJennyRobyn Wed 10-Aug-11 23:49:21

I would ring the vet just to be safe. if you haven't done so already (just realised time you posted)

it may well be a hairball as my cats do this often in which i find vaseleline helps to shift it.

But it could be something more serious, my cat started coughing a week past sunday, i thought he had a hairball. He seemed fine for the next few days then i heard him coughing again mid week and he seemed a bit off and was very quiet and sleepy. So gave him some vaseline thinking the hairball was bothering him. He stopped eating on friday evening. Didn't touch his food all weekend. He died on monday on the way to the vet sad

I really dont want to frighten you but if she is off in anyway, ie lethargic, quiet, off her food etc.....get straight to the vet.

Dont take any chances.

girlywhirly Thu 11-Aug-11 08:20:49

You can get a paste from pet shops or the vet called katalax, it is a greasy meaty flavoured compound that you give to the cat to eat, and it works by sticking the hairs together and aiding their passage through the digestive system.

I really wouldn't recommend Vaseline.

buggerlugs82 Thu 11-Aug-11 12:19:19

Thanks for the advice. I will keep my eye on her. She seemed ok last night after her coughing episode and seems ok today. She is a quiet cat anyway so i probably wouldnt notice that she was ill until she was really poorly.

I'll stay in tonight and monitor her.

Sorry about your cat little

stinkyfluffycat Thu 11-Aug-11 12:25:20

If she suffers from furballs get a Furminator brush - gets amazing amounts of fur off the cat, and the more you remove the less they swallow & have to cough/puke up again.
I'd take her to the vet if she has another coughing fit though.

Girylwhirly I'm with you on not using vaseline, but just as an aside I think 'greasy meaty flavoured compound' might be the most revolting phrase I have ever read!

girlywhirly Thu 11-Aug-11 15:49:35

Sorry about that, stinky! It is quite irresistible to cats though. It looks like marmite in a tube! Does that sound better? (Possibly not to marmite haters)

noarguments Thu 11-Aug-11 22:21:09

was just mentioning katalax on another thread as something that possibly helps with general constipation in my older cat ....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now