Talk

Advanced search

Cat being bullied!

(4 Posts)
ThunderboltKid Tue 09-Aug-11 13:11:32

We've just moved into a new house and our cat has gone from being an inside cat to having access to a garden.

She is a very timid small cat, but was gradually getting more and more confident with the garden. But now she seems to be being bullied by next door's cat! This cat is much bigger and seems to sit up on the fence or the shed watching her and waiting for an opportunity to pounce.

I have seen our cat having a 'face off' with her, puffing out her tail and both cats hissing at each other. Usually I then go out and chase the big cat away, or my cat runs back inside. A couple of times it has come to blows and they've clipped each other round the face.

Our cat doesn't seem too put off, as she keeps going back outside which is good, but this morning I heard an awful racket downstairs and found the other cat had chased our cat through the cat flap. It ran back out when I came downstairs.

What, if anything, can I do? The big cat is really starting to annoy me!! I just want our little cat to enjoy its new garden in peace grin

<never thought I'd be so overprotective of a cat blush>

changer22 Tue 09-Aug-11 13:22:44

A grim tale follows... sad

Our cat was being bullied by one or maybe both cats (brothers) of a house a couple of doors away who would actively seek him (and our other cat) out. We ended up blocking the garden in so the other cats couldn't get in so easily but they still managed it. There were full on fights with dust flying and we ended up at the vets several times for injuries to our cats. One of our cats came home one day with a broken leg - the vet believed by jumping from a high wall (chased into our garden?). He deteriorated during surgery and sadly died a couple of days later.

It was awful. We felt as if we hadn't looked after them properly and we were angry with the neighbours (we think the cats weren't neutered). I realise that unlike dogs cats are a law unto themselves but it was so upsetting.

Your situation doesn't sound as full on as ours was but do keep an eye on your cat and make your garden as contained as you can, get a cat flap with its own unique tag, etc.

ThunderboltKid Tue 09-Aug-11 18:45:00

Oh thats really sad; so sorry about your cat sad

Will keep an eye on the situation and hope its just a phase until boundaries are sorted!

storytopper Wed 10-Aug-11 17:39:11

Try using a water pistol to spray you neighbour's cat when it comes into your garden or chases your cat. Other threads here have shown that most owners will not object to a water pistol being used when their cat is misbehaving or annoying other people.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now