Talk

Advanced search

And so the neighbours "pregnant" cat saga continues, have kitten now!

(13 Posts)
maxybrown Tue 09-Aug-11 12:18:03

Long sorry!

Posted couple of weeks ago about a very young cat (kitten) we thought was pregnant and it turned out she wasn't but had recently given birth! She is actually a neighbours sisters cat hmm and apparently this is her 3rd litter shock so said neighbour (very very young and as it turns out NO idea about animals whatsoever!) tells us she had 2 kittens ad we agreed to take one when ready. She calls us over last night and 1 kitten died sad but ours was still alive though not eating at all and mum not feeding them for a while so been giving them cows milk shock anyway she brings her over to us for us to try and then we find out she is only 5 weeks old but Mum not bothering with her. She is the tiniest tiniest dot. We managed to get her to lick some mush and been giving her kitten milk. She is also covered in fleas and when I asked neighbour if she has been going to the loo she said (wait for it) "I think so but I don't know where, think maybe behind the settee" shockshock DH said we have to take her now or she'll be dead too. Anyway neighbour had tried to "give her fried chicken with the breadcrumbs taken off - it was only this big (shows 2" length) and she wouldn't touch it, I mean chicken!" she is no way malicious just really really no idea at all.

We took kitten upstairs, made her a bed with hot water bottle under it, put down saucer of milk and make shift litter tray and what a little darling she has been - went out of her bed straight onto newspaper in night for a wee then back to bed. She has woken for milk today and been cuddled lots and back asleep - should I wake her and give her milk though and not wait for her to wake? I know she will sleep a lot obviously and will grab those hideous fleas off her today, got couple off last night but this tiny tiny kitten is a new experience to me, even though seasoned cat owner previously!

Only thing now is persuading DS age 3 that "Humpty" is not the sort of name we would have given her perhaps grin

kittensliveupstairs Tue 09-Aug-11 13:02:03

Good for you. I can't see anything wrong with Humpty. Probably because my DD name our two new boys Jalapeno and Terry.

maxybrown Tue 09-Aug-11 13:12:46

I love Terry grin I once had a persian called Frank

kittensliveupstairs Tue 09-Aug-11 13:33:26

I think virtually all of our pets have had people names. Debbie and Tracy, Clive, Fanny, Pearl and now Jala and Terry.
Humpty is a great name for a cat, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
Is there a chance you can get the unfortunate girl next door sorted out?

maxybrown Tue 09-Aug-11 16:11:03

er - not sure what you mean about the girl next door? blush

Have just given kitten a flea bath as she was a mess and I got 61 fleas off her shockshock hopefully she will improve now, think there may be a couple lurking but off for fine flea comb and hopefully will get them off her.

I like Dave for a cat (a boy anyway) - I said to DS (trying to sway him) "but Humpty is a boys name," then he tells me in his broken speech that Humpty is actually an egg, not a boy or a girl hmm

maxybrown Tue 09-Aug-11 16:11:45

61 fleas - isn't that a ridiculous amount? she fits in the plam of my hand and I have small hands!

colditz Tue 09-Aug-11 16:13:18

She really needs to see a vet. That many fleas on such a tiny cat could give her flea aneamia, flea allergic dermatitis and could even kill her. She's also probably got worms from all the fleas.

maxybrown Tue 09-Aug-11 19:09:39

I know colditz, we're going to sort it! She's looking a million times better now and has eaten from DH's hand - hoorah! She hasn't been eating as they've just been plonking cows milk in front of her

kittensliveupstairs Wed 10-Aug-11 07:22:53

My final piece of advice (ironice really given how much I've asked for) is don't give them cows milk. The rescuer who supplied ours said goats or cats milk is OK, unecesssary, but OK but cows is a definite no no.
Enjoy Humpty.

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 10-Aug-11 11:02:55

Would the cats protection get the mum spayed?? If they recieve benefits they might get it done free she can't just carry on producing kittens.

kittensliveupstairs Wed 10-Aug-11 11:04:29

Sorry, to clarify by girl, I meant the mum cat not the owner.

maxybrown Wed 10-Aug-11 11:38:25

I don't know, she did say her sister was going to "get her done" - I have never met the sister she doesn't live on my street!

Oh I see now about girl next door!! I mean technically she doesn't even live on our street the mother cat and the house she has been in they are moving in 4 weeks - god help the new people in there - the animals have been going to the toilet wherever they please, there were 4 cats and one dog and the girl (human) thought it was just normal for a kitten to be covered in fleas hmm the house must be swarming <<shudders>>

But our Humpty has been playing for 2 hours this morning and managed to get her to eat again just now by herself, only small amounts but then she hasn't eaten at all before so think we're doing well and she's playing with our fingers and trying to eat them so must be getting better grin

Geordieminx Sun 14-Aug-11 18:56:18

I would catch the mum and take her to the cats protection league.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now