Talk

Advanced search

Our beloved cat is not himself - any ideas?

(8 Posts)
fluschmoo Sun 07-Aug-11 14:20:25

Hi. We have a 2 year old cat who is a bit under the weather. Yesterday and today he has been sick and last night he came in with some horrible sticky stuff on his neck. We washed this off but he seemed quite subdued last night. He also has a cut on his nose.This morning we slept in a bit and he didn't nag for food at all which is very unusual. He was just lying on the floor looking a bit groggy. He got up and came onto the bed but was quite wobbly and a bit floppy. His eyes look a bit odd too. He did eat some meat and has perked up a bit but is still not right. Like having a different cat in the house.

Does anyone have any ideas on what might be wrong or should we call the vet today? Many thanks.

kittensliveupstairs Sun 07-Aug-11 14:59:46

My kittens are too young to be getting into fights, but, I do remember several cats we've had in the past having dreadful abcess' on the back of their necks.
Have a look and a smell. I would phone your vet and ask for advice. Is your cat's vax up to date? Also, could he have been hit by a car? Have a look at his gums, if they are pale he could be or have been losing blood internally.
Fingers crossed he's OK.

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 07-Aug-11 17:52:46

they often have damaged claws and paw pads after a car accident check those, sounds like its the vets for you monday!

Most vets do a emergancy line to ring and a vet nurse answers any queries I have used mine several times. Good luck.

FlyMeToDunoon Sun 07-Aug-11 18:20:15

Cats often get grabbed on the scruff of the neck during fights and it is also what happens to the females during mating. My neutered male cat has had lots of incidents when the scruff of his neck has had fur torn out.
He may have had a traumatic encounter involving an attack on him from another cat.

fluschmoo Sun 07-Aug-11 20:18:05

Thanks very much for your replies. I have checked him over and can't see anything obvious. He did perk up a bit and we let him out for a bit. He ate something too but is still not himself. He has now been asleep for hours and hasn't asked for any more food which is quite unusual so still not 100%.

Will see how he is tomorrow.

Kladdkaka Mon 08-Aug-11 00:16:18

Yep, my mogs is just recovering from an abscess on her neck from some other moggy grabbing hold of her. Still weeping cat goo now, despite mountains of medicine. She was all lethargic and shakey to begin with. Then she disappeared for a week. Hiding under the house next door all poorly and alone. Thankfully she's better now. Definately worth a trip to the vets tomorrow.

Mumcentreplus Mon 08-Aug-11 00:25:41

go to the vets...he sounds like he has been hurt...

kittensliveupstairs Tue 09-Aug-11 13:00:27

Any news?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now