Talk

Advanced search

Neutering, what can I expect?

(7 Posts)
kittensliveupstairs Thu 04-Aug-11 06:38:01

We have two lovely little boy kittens whose nuts are growing at an alarming rate. They are booked in next week for castration and chipping.
How will they be after the surgery? The vets said they could stay overnight, but I think I would prefer them to come home. DD is really worried they will have bloody bits hanging off their behinds, I've tried to reassure her, but since I've only ever had girl cats before I am failing.
Help for a novice boy owner.

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 04-Aug-11 12:07:00

They do it all internally now so you can't see the stitches, they left his scrotum on.

I paint his fur with lavender oil so he didn't go near the area, it's less distressing than a cone. Worked when his anal glands went septic last week too, I don't put it on the skin just the fur.

Tbh the castration didn't seem to bother him at all.

Lizcat Thu 04-Aug-11 13:53:21

The most common neutering in male cats in the UK leaves the scrotum incision open though there should not be any bleeding. Most likely they will be a bit sleepy when you bring them home and then back to normal the next day.

girlywhirly Thu 04-Aug-11 15:15:01

Well, when I had my boy cat neutered back in the 1980's he wasn't in the least dozy, or in any discomfort. His scrotum looked like a couple of sugar puffs as they had shaved it, and there were a couple of tiny scars but that was it! There was no bleeding or discharge or anything. He was even sitting normally. I imagine nowadays it would look even less obvious.

Teds77 Thu 04-Aug-11 15:40:39

Our boys came home the same day and it didn't seem to bother them at all. One walked around like John Wayne for 24 hours but essentially they were fine and they didn't investigate their little wounds at all.

I remember they were very hungry and appreciative of food!

Also, you need to make sure they are going to the loo so keep them in and get them to use the litter tray. At the vet's suggestion we replaced the litter with shreaded paper but they weren't interested in that so we returned to usual litter and just made sure that nothing stuck to their bits! You don't need to check too carefully but we were just advised to check them everyday for a few days to make sure nothing was stuck to them/everything was healing.

DontCallMeBaby Fri 05-Aug-11 20:18:41

You wouldn't have known anything at all had happened to my two boys had their rear ends not looked just a little deflated compared to when they left the house eight hours previously. They tore about the place like nothing had happened at all - the only difference was that they had developed a fun little habit of playing in their water dishes (I think they got bored while they were supposed to be recuperating after the op). They weren't given cones - I was told to make sure they didn't lick themselves too much (tricky, given that licking their nethers is their fourth favourite activity after sleeping, eating and trying to kill me) and to go back for cones if I really couldn't. They didn't seem to be paying excess attention to the area, so I didn't bother.

kittensliveupstairs Sat 06-Aug-11 11:28:31

Brilliant. I know when I had our boy done in Oman he looked like he had pate smeared under his tail.
I look forward to nutless boys.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now