Talk

Advanced search

I think my cat is constipated.

(5 Posts)

I caught her trying to poo in the fireplace and on the mop today, which is unusual for her, she never poos inside the house, she doesn't even have a litter tray. Just went to take her in for the night and she was straining to go in the garden, in at least three places. Just googled stuff and I'm getting a bit worried now that it could be serious.

I fed her some milk, to see if that could produce a laxative effect, and left her in the sitting room with a basin with sand in it just in case. She seems her usual self, not at all distressed. I can't take her to the vet until at least 4 o' clock tomorrow, because DH is working until then. I also have stupidly let my insurance lapse and can't really afford the vet.

She seems to be eating normally, she usually eats a mixture of wet and dried food, with leftovers I get from work, usually turkey, beef or chicken.

Has anybody got any experience of this behaviour/problem in cats? She is 6 years old, I've had her since she was a kitten.

Hopeful bump.

happylina Sat 06-Aug-11 21:54:30

I have a very constipated old cat - bless him - and he has lactulose twice a day on vets advice. You could try it but best to ask the vet.

Thanks happy - had some lactolose in the house for DS and tried it the result was a very messy litter tray on Friday morning! Gas. But I'm glad she's back on form, haven't spotted her straining to go since, and have been presented with tow dead birds today as a token of her appreciationsmile

noarguments Thu 11-Aug-11 22:10:43

Just found this. I also have a constipated old cat. Will discuss lactulose with the vet. What does seem to help her a bit is some lax-a- past (think its a paraffin gel type thing) which is really designed to help sort out furballs. My cat adores it so its easy to administer, in fact I use a blob of it to disguise her arthritis painkillers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now