Talk

Advanced search

What do I say to the neighbour and her daughter?!

(4 Posts)
Meow75 Tue 26-Jul-11 19:37:55

What a foul day.

We were sat at home this morning, just finishing breakfast - we're off work before going on holiday tomorrow - and there was a knock at the door. My DH answered it and was talking to the person at the door for a few minutes, and then I heard the front door close, and the lounge door opened.

"Who was that?" I attempted to innocently ask. He was crying. I leapt out of the chair (it has it's back to the door), and he had our no.1 cat, Pepper, in his arms wrapped in the neighbour's towel. Their daughter (about 13 y o I think) had find our gorgeous girl on the footpath between our houses, already gone. DH had only let her out a half hour before!! sad she was 10 1/2 years old.

I've just dropped a card and replacement towel next door, but deliberately knocked and ran. Can't talk to them, glad we're going away for 10 days tomorrow. Don't know what to say the next time I see them, they only moved in about 5 months ago, we were just getting to going beyond hello at the moment.

I feel bereft today.

ImeldaM Tue 26-Jul-11 20:14:17

Very sorry about your lovely cat sad

When you do see them, thank them for bringing her & that you were sorry that they/the daughter had found her but it was very kind of them to take her home to you.

If she is upset/was very keen on your cat maybe you could plant a little tree together/give her a photo of your cat if she would like.

juicychops Tue 26-Jul-11 20:15:10

oh no how awful for you sad

my beloved cat was found in a neighbours garden 2 years ago and i was devestated

are you sure there were no signs on your cat so suggest your neighbours may have accidently hit the cat with their car outside your houses or something?

feel so sad for you

Meow75 Tue 26-Jul-11 20:22:43

Imelda I said exactly that in the card I dropped at their front door, thanking them for their love of cats and compassion for us. I also expressed my sorrow at the daughter finding Pepper, and wishing that it hadn't been her.

Juicy they don't own a car, and there wasn't a mark on her. I very much doubt she was hit by a car, as what I saw of her outside she was pretty streetwise as cats go. Also, once most people have left for work, it's very quiet here and we know for sure she was ok @ 0930, by which time there was almost no-one around.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now