Talk

Advanced search

Elderly cat being very odd - any ideas?

(5 Posts)
tb Mon 25-Jul-11 20:07:11

We have a female Maine Coon who is nearly 17.

3 years ago dd insisted on adopting a kitten that was going to be drowned. It didn't work out, and after he was neutered, and started to get bigger, he was jumping on the older cat's back. After he tried to claw her eyes, he was put up for adoption with the local refuge in January this year.

In February, the older cat went missing for 2 weeks. Fortunately, a neighbour found her next to his woodpile when she was nearly comatose. Since coming back she's been spoilt rotten, and has regained some weight. The only real change is that she has become very clingy, and joins us each evening, sitting between us. She even miaows 'at' us, if she wants to tell us that it's time to sit either side of us.

Recently her behaviour has changed again. She's started asking to go out, and then the minute she's been let out, jumping on to the window sill, and trying to claw her way in. As soon as she comes in, she's asking to go out, etc, etc.

I was wondering if cat's go senile? or if there's another explanation?

She does seem to be losing her 'marble' a little, and being a typical Maine Coon, she hasn't that many to losegrin

Thanks for any help

tb

MrsSnaplegs Mon 25-Jul-11 20:10:29

I would take her to the vet, it is not uncommon for older cats to become senile

mymumdom Mon 25-Jul-11 20:12:22

Take her to your vet. They are going to want to check her kidney. liver and thyroid function at least. Hyperthyroidism is responsible for many a 'senile' cat.

merlincat Thu 28-Jul-11 00:06:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

tigerdriverII Thu 28-Jul-11 00:14:59

My old boy is 16 - we have two young Maine Coons too. The oldie is behaving a bit like this - half the time his normal self - just ambling about like he alwaus has, then sometimes he's mr fusspot, has to get on my lap, headbutt me, or miaow loudly without any reason. He hates the car/vet etc and every time I think he needs to go and have a check up he spends all day basking in the sun and acting completely normal. Oddest thing he's done for years recently was eating a whole rabbit caught by one of the hooligans and then having to sleep for about 36 hours - he's the worst hunter ever, but he scoffed the entire rabbit in about half an hour from ears to scut.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now