Talk

Advanced search

Neighbours cat, help please, pregnant?

(15 Posts)
maxybrown Sat 23-Jul-11 17:53:53

ok, so people across road (don't know them hardly ever see them) have got a new kitten (they had an old cat, never really bothered with it). We first saw her 3 weeks or so ago, noticable as new very small black kitten cat. I asked my elderly next door neighbour whose it was (he has lots of cats, very well cared for) and he said them across road. Hehad been feeding her at his gate, she was quite thinish.

So, roll on these last couple of weeks or so and see her quite abit, rather skittish but very obviously hungry and IMO too thin. She comes in to ours last night and so we gave her something to eat - i had just cooked some fish and gave her some salmon. I noticed she had large teats. Came back this morning, bit more trusting and we had a look at her. her teats are big! But she is so tiny and a def small small swell in her tummy sad we have been feeding her today (wrongly maybe) but we are soft and I hate seeing her so straggly. I know of a male cat on our street that is def not "done"

So - how can I tell f she is def pregnant? Don't really want to go to poeple over rd as don't think they care like that anyway tbh and I would rather just look after cat and not get involved with them. Next door said they've eneded up with every cat the popele over the rd have ever had! I have some pics of her i could put up but they are not the best if anyone could help? She just seems too little to be having a baby/babies

maxybrown Sat 23-Jul-11 17:57:40

Meant to add - no idea how old she is, but she is tiny and also I am not sure the youngest they can be when they first come into season?!

ClaireDeLoon Sat 23-Jul-11 18:02:47

Oh poor cat, awful I hope she isn't her health will suffer badly with her being so young. No idea how to tell if she is pregnant for definite, just a vet visit. If possible they would be better off neutering her and terminating the pregnancy. TBH if it were me I'd call cats protection and say you have taken in a possibly pregnant stray could they come collect it. People shouldn't have cats if they can't look after them properly.

Where are you?

maxybrown Sat 23-Jul-11 18:06:33

Hmm, I really really don't know how old she is. I just remember their old cat had a sore for ages that looked awful and they never took her to the vets. i think enough nagging from my neighbour and they did take her eventually. He told me years ago they had kittens from them and they edned up with them back as they never bothered with them.

Maybe I have it all wrong? She is very hungry though and very edgy. She has been coming back to us slowly though. She won't play at all but has allowed DH to pick her up and did purr eventually. She looks like she's on red alert all the time. Then i feel bad for feeding someone elses cat <<shrugs>>

purplepidjin Sat 23-Jul-11 18:12:12

http://www.cat-world.com.au/pregnancy-in-cats

I know it's possibly for kittens to be pregnant before they're spayed at 6months, it's the reason my little girlie was done at 5 (living with an unrelated male) sad

maxybrown Sat 23-Jul-11 18:24:47

Thanks purple. I also just googled pics of pregnant cats and she sure has nipples like some of them I've seen - pinking they say it is called. Poor bugger, no wonder she's so jumpy.

maxybrown Sat 23-Jul-11 18:31:04

ok found this www.catproblemsresolved.com/tag/pregnant-cat-symptom-how-long-do-cats-stay-pregnant/ she is def starting to look like the cat shown here, well her nipples are anyway

ClaireDeLoon Sat 23-Jul-11 19:09:17

Do you think you might be able to do anything to help her?

QuietTiger Tue 26-Jul-11 18:30:55

Do you think she has had the kittens yet? If no and you are prepared to help her, get her in and give her somewhere safe and quiet. She needs food and help.

TBH, I have been known to "borrow permanently" cats in this situation. I've moved them into rescue and got them and the kittens rehomed. Not that I am suggesting that is what you should do, of course....

CeliaFate Tue 26-Jul-11 18:34:23

I think cats can have kittens anytime from 4 months so it's quite possible she's pregnant. Poor love. Can you talk to the neighbours and encourage them to take her to the vet?

maxybrown Tue 26-Jul-11 18:43:32

hi sorry! well, what a to do. Turns out she has HAD kittens shock I can't believe it, she is so tiny.....but the kittens seem to be in the house next door to where she lives hmm their cat is the Dad, scruffy underfed male that is tbh a pain. I can't imagine what is going on at all, think they are selling the kittens but don't think for one min they have been wormed etc etc - they have a dog they just boot out on the street for it's business then they let it back in, only time it goes out. The male cat has now also been coming round to our house and squirting shock so obviously big stop been put to all of it as he stinks and I can't have him leaving wee everywhere. He went in the porch on a sunny day when it was open and on back step and on Dh's classic car cover hmm So thanks for everyones help!

CeliaFate Tue 26-Jul-11 20:35:54

I know it's not completely ethical hmm but some cats' protection companies have people who take the cat to the vet to be neutered without its' owner's consent or knowledge. The end justifies the means.

CeliaFate Tue 26-Jul-11 20:36:17

I meant wink not hmm!

JohnStuartMills Tue 26-Jul-11 22:19:04

Just wanted some ideas. I was away for a few days with my son. En route, we stopped at a historic house and met a young female tortie who looked preggers. She did not have collar and was a bit dirty but thought she may have been fed by cafe people on site and that's why she hung around there. As were still on holiday and had some distance to travel I didn't make any enquiries about her but we checked on way back a couple of days later. In the meantime, lady in cafe had called vet about her as she had developed bloody paw.

The vet took her in but couldn't vaccinate her as she was pregnant. They contacted a cat protection society who were going to find foster family as she couldn't go to sanctuary cos unvaccinated. We called to vet to see cat as my son was very eager to take her. We are moving country in approx. 4 weeks. There is no way I could foster her, is there. Feel crap for walking away from her in first place. It's the worst time for something like this. Should I ring them. Have a vaccinated, neutered very chilled male cat at home.

JohnStuartMills Tue 26-Jul-11 22:19:37

meant to create new message. Sorry!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now