Talk

Advanced search

How much to feed older cats?

(4 Posts)
tallulah Sat 23-Jul-11 11:02:32

Our 2 remaining cats are 12 & 11 years old. Male is over 5kg, female 3.5kg. We've been feeding them 100g Senior pouches of whiskas/ Felix. Instructions say 3 a day each but no sooner have they eaten they are begging for more. (male then tends to throw his straight up hmm )

DD has given up feeding her cat pouches altogether because she feels he is addicted to them (and over-eating).

Our cats seem a bit skinny rather than fat so I've bought some dry food to bulk it out, which they've set upon as if starving (it's called Purely Chicken Complete for Seniors).

How much should we be feeding the cats and when? They seem to think that any human in the kitchen means it's time to eat again and they are driving us mad with their whining and being under our feet grin

ChristinedePizan Sat 23-Jul-11 11:05:33

I feed my cat Science Diet Senior dry food and her dish is always full. Perhaps because it's not very nice grin

I've heard Whiskas being described as crack for cats so maybe you could try a different brand? They're probably a bit elderly to switch to entirely dry food though because they won't drink enough to compensate for the lack of moisture in their food.

tallulah Sat 23-Jul-11 11:11:58

They used to have exclusively dry food but we had to leave them with our children for a year and when we got them back last autumn they were in such poor condition that we switched to pouches. they seem to like this new dry stuff though.

Lizcat Sat 23-Jul-11 17:32:08

The pouches tell you to feed a very large amount. I would never give them more than two pouches per day. If they are eating this amount and loosing weight as their are several conditions of older cats that could be causing a problem. Again the throwing up could also be a sign of these.
My 4.2Kg old lady cat has dry food (half weighed daily portion) in the morning and 1 pouch of waitrose own cat food in the evening. Waitrose is the only wet food she doesn't vomit up and she is hyperthyroid, but with her meds all this keeps her stable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now