Talk

Advanced search

stray cat?! help...

(7 Posts)

I have two cats ..do not need another!
However a poor creature has turned up at our door. It is tiny, skeletally underweight and blind in one eye (cataract). It is also very hungry and very friendly. I would guess it is either very old or utterly malnourished.

We gave it some left overs (my fussy beasties refuse anything left down longer than 30 minutes!) and now it won't go. My own cats have looked cross but not actually driven it off (unusual)

We go away on holiday in 10 days time, so while usually I'd leave scraps out and see if it goes away again I'm concerned.
I don't know what to do. Obviously I'm going to ring around the local vets for any missing animals (with its cataract it's easily identifiable) and knock on doors .. but I'm loathe to just ignore it when it is so obviously in need. If it has an owner it's a very poor onesad

Would you feed it and try and take it in? I could if necessary get jabs done and try and get the cattery to take it when we go away but I don't want to steal someones pet if it is just ancient and thin because of that!

It's currently sat on my lap blush

DooinMeCleanin Thu 21-Jul-11 23:22:12

Get it to the vet to be checked for a microchipped and then keep and feed the poor wee thing if you can afford to or pass him to a rescue if you can't.

purplepidjincantatem Thu 21-Jul-11 23:33:15

www.catchat.org/adoption/

Find a local rescue, they should be able to find a foster home for the poor little mite. They should be able to check for a microchip and liaise with local vets

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 22-Jul-11 17:18:17

Ooh I'd have named him and nagged DH we NEED another cat if my cat hadnt chased it away.

Maybe they know its old and half blind.

Your own vet would check for microchips for free and also often have lists of cats who have gone missing.

We got two of my childhood cats because they just sort of moved in.

I have found out today that it IS owned..sort of. The owner lives 5 houses down the street and is a bit odd to say the least. Says the cat is ancient (thought so) and comes and goes. Well it has come again today and is sitting hopefully outside the door every time I open it!!!

I suspect I'm going to half care for it. I am off on holiday but will leave some tins of food with my neighbour to give it a bit extra outside and if it is still around after I have been away I shall continue to give it a bit extra as it is soooo underweight and very keen to be cuddled. That way I'm not 'stealing' her but just being friendly...:D

Apparently she is about 17 years old!! No wonder she looks decrepit! She is NOT moving in. I repeat to myself, she is NOT moving in, even if she was on my sofa looking smug earlier.....!!!

DooinMeCleanin Sat 23-Jul-11 10:28:15

Can you perhaps have a word with the neighbour and offer to drive her to your nearest Blue Cross or PDSA for treatment for it's eye?

mxl Sat 23-Jul-11 10:39:17

I have a similar problem and I have been feeding my visitor too! Such a shame that some people have pets and then neglect them. Hope it all works out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now